The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Best rod
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up on the posting Dry Buzzer because despite the moans and groans they are entertaining.

Very Happy
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Hackle wrote:
Don't give up on the posting Dry Buzzer because despite the moans and groans they are entertaining.

Very Happy

And they're all good advice. Cool

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even mine Twisted Evil
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

springwell wrote:
Even mine Twisted Evil

Let's not get carried away here Bill........... Twisted Evil

Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:
Ok right some got it some didnt.
I dont want to pick your brains so that I can go out and buy your favourite rod all I wanted to know was what is YOUR dream Reservoir rod.
So lets try again lol

Drybuzzer, we all 'got' what you were asking and it's the sort of question that's been asked endless times, on endless fora . . . dream car, dream job, dream wife even! . . . but it does beg the question "Why?" Why would you want to know what other people's dream anything would be?

Round and about, in the house, I probably have somewhere in the order of 120 rods, some from the 60s when I started fly fishing, including a Milbro Trufly - 9ft 6", AFTM 6, hollow glass fibre with a metal ferrule, the reel fitting is mounted on something that looks like central heating piping glued into the end of the blank. I'd seen it in a shop window, it was my 'dream rod', it was £15 and I had to save up for some months to get it. It was my dream rod because it was the only one that was accessible to me.

Move forward some 45 years to my 60th birthday and my wife had Luke Bannister build me a 7ft, 3/4 wt, cane rod to the Garrison 201 formula, It cost £900 and it has a metal ferrule too. However, compared to the Milbro Trufly, it is a thing of beauty, an exposition of craftsmanship and a joy to use. The Trufly was a brute of a rod and a day's fishing with it nearly broke my youthful arm.

But, and it is a very big but, the dreams and memories fuelled by that original Trufly are not relegated or diminished by the arrival of the Bannister rod or any of the other Winstons, Sages, Loops etc etc that are tucked away around the house. Fly fishing is much bigger and better than dreams or ambitions about 'labels'.

Admittedly, there is some appeal in the image of driving through South Island New Zealand in a Porsche 911 with Salma Hayek in the passenger seat and being followed by a truck containing the entire stock of Sportfish. However, we should take care not to confuse fantasy with reality. Laughing
Liked by: springwell
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Best reservoir/stillwater fly rod. Reply with quote

The endless enigma my friend.Some contenders have been and gone although think I may have a couple Laughing You need to do some research on rods good fly fishers are using and put yourself in a position to cast some.
This line of enquiry is full of pitfalls as has been well pointed out.I believe there are plenty of options out there to accommodate all budgets and requirements.I really do not think you will find the ultimate
answer you seek.I will add I do think it is harder find a good mid priced rod than the high rollers.There is not much to choose between them these days so really does come down how you like it.One or two stand out both branded and custom.Good luck on your quest.Just try to make sure the rod is fit for purpose for your preferred method or a good allrounder.Dry buzzer is a bit of a giveaway which could narrow the search somewhat.Good luck.

JP
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not get carried away here Bill........... Twisted Evil

What me.....Never Smile

drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still dont get it.
Im not asking for me, I am not going to rush out and buy a rod just because someone on here says its the best.
I dont know what type of rod I want next and I will do a lot of testing before I do so that the rod suites me.
This was just a pointless general chitchat of a question.
What is your dream reservoir rod?
No hidden reasons for asking, dont read anything else into the question.
Some may say a shakey, some a Hardy, it doesnt really matter,
What it might prove if everybody comes up with different answers is that there is no BEST rod out there, but hey ho it will still be interesting to see what people yearn for or maybe already have.

Anyway I think that question has been done so lets move on.
Whats the one fly you would not go without on a reservoir ?
Drybuzzer stands back and waits for the inevitable lol............ Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:
You still dont get it.
Im not asking for me, I am not going to rush out and buy a rod just because someone on here says its the best.
I dont know what type of rod I want next and I will do a lot of testing before I do so that the rod suites me.
This was just a pointless general chitchat of a question.
What is your dream reservoir rod?
No hidden reasons for asking, dont read anything else into the question.
Some may say a shakey, some a Hardy, it doesnt really matter,
What it might prove if everybody comes up with different answers is that there is no BEST rod out there, but hey ho it will still be interesting to see what people yearn for or maybe already have.

Anyway I think that question has been done so lets move on.
Whats the one fly you would not go without on a reservoir ?
Drybuzzer stands back and waits for the inevitable lol............ Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

This is always the danger of asking a question on a public forum. You may or may not get the response you were expecting. We'll leave it open in case there's another opinion somebody would like to offer but please feel free to start another thread about your favourite fly, as this is about rods. Perhaps in both cases (this thread and your new one) you could suggest your own favourite as a starting point? Cool

roallen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is the best, but I'm very pleased with my Shakespeare Agility.
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I roallen, it does what I need for the time being.
I have bought another rod as back up but dont use it at the moment.
Ive also bought a old Hardy split cane rod that ive used once which was fun but not recommended for a full day season.
I started off with an excellent 5 piece travel rod which i will now use for my holidays.
I do fancy splashing the cash on a upper end rod and have been looking for a bit on the internet but need to find the time to go somewhere and try them before purchase.

It is very hard on the internet/mags to get fully independent reviews on rods so how do you go about producing a short list of the rods you want to try !!
You might know the rod length/weight/action you like but you are still left with a vast selection of makes and models and its just not feasible to try them all.
So its very helpful to listen to others giving great recommendations about rods they have or rods they wish to have due to the great things they have heard.
This all helps in selecting the rods you want to test drive.
One of the rods out there that you barely ever hear bad things said about them from actual fishermen is the Shakespeare Agility
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "ideal" rod is the one I use at that particular time because I will have evaluated what I intend doing on that day and will go equipped for that purpose.

There is no such animal as the "ideal" rod. I've got some decent kit, and as it does what I want it to do then for me that is as "ideal" as the Shakespeare you fish with.
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 or 3 years ago, I bought a Hardy Shadow (9'#6) as it seemed to fill my criteria for res. fishing at the time & with the discount I got, it wasn't bad v.f.m. However, with the ever changing world of tackle supply, it is being (very) heavily discounted. So a "new" model is probably just around the corner & suppliers are clearing stocks to make room for them etc.

At the time I bought mine, it retailed at £259 & I paid £225, Glasgow Angling & doubtless others are selling it for £180. Would I say it was the best rod, no but would I say that ANY rod is "best". For the number of times I can get out on the water, it (still) suits my purpose. If I were able to fish more often, it might be a different story & no I can't afford another right now (matched pair etc) as all my lines (about a dozen or so) are #6's
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drybuzzer - If you are considering spending upwards of £400 on a rod then perhaps a trip to Sportfish near Reading would be in order. They stock some serious high end kit and have a casting pool for trialling.
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Drybuzzer - If you are considering spending upwards of £400 on a rod then perhaps a trip to Sportfish near Reading would be in order. They stock some serious high end kit and have a casting pool for trialling.

And if you do that make sure you try the rod with one line weight above and one below its rating. Not all line weights are the same. I have a Sage Z Axis 10' #5 and it casts very well with an Aiflo Superdri Elite WF5. Then I got a Sunray WF5 and it is a marriage made in heaven. This line is about half a line weight heavier that the Airflo and does it ever go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: