The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Chew Croc Hunt 14 Aug '17

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Chew Croc Hunt 14 Aug '17 Reply with quote

Had a brilliant day out on Chew with Allrounder Alan yesterday Cool Weather ideal with overcast sky and a light wind which at first was from the East but swung into the South as our day progressed. The only downside being the water clarity - or more to the point - the lack of it Rolling Eyes Only 3 feet at best - we were going to have to put our flies within that range of a pikes eyes for it to get even seen. Rolling Eyes

Started the day drifting around False Island, but with no results, so with the wind now firmly from the South, a move to Stratford was mutually agreed. The wind was kind to us - varying only between a ripple and a low wave,

Turned out this was the place to be as the day worked out, My "electronics" telling me that plenty of Pike were in the area - some of them above the bottom, in hunting mode. Unfortunately, the rubbish clarity made getting offers extremely difficult - so just a few taps and a very close to the boat follow from a huge Girl for me Embarassed - but Alan was able to hook and boat 3 very nice Pike - so here are some pics to enjoy.

His first at a guestimated 9/10 -

You know your boat partner is into something worthwhile when you see a 10# rod bent like this. Very Happy

Here's the result of a very hard scrap - A stunning 18 Pounder (weighed in my Mcleans net)

Gently released.

Final fish for Alan - Guestimated at 12 (ish) pounds.

Great to see a good friend getting amongst 'em. Makes for a very enjoyable day afloat - even if I was completely shattered at the end of it Laughing

Alan may well be along shortly to give us his take on the day Wink What fly(s) he caught them on - and how he enjoyed his battle with his Big Girl Very Happy

Cheers ....... Tony
Liked by: springwell, tenet, blondie, montanajoe, Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good day with the 'big stick' was well overdue for me on Chew so I was pleased things came right for me at last. It's been a long wait! Laughing

Despite the excellent conditions I wasn't that confident we would catch when we set out due to the clarity which was OK for trout, but not as good for pike for the reasons Tony gives. The morning turned out to be as tough as I feared without a single pull or follow but things changed for the better when I tried a simple Roach pattern that I have loads of confidence in. Whether that made the difference or they just 'switched on' I don't know, but my first pull followed shortly after. Very Happy

I had 4 hits in all and I must admit the big fish soon had my legs shaking when it sped off. Despite serious persuasion to change course it took me completely around the boat once and then almost into the prop again before I managed to get her to the surface for the net I thought she was in the low 20's which would be a new PB for me on Chew so was a bit deflated when Tony announced it was 'only' 18lbon his weigh net scale. however I soon got over that and was just delighted to catch such a magnificent fish and see her swim off strongly after she recovered. Cool

Many thanks to Tony for his company and his boating skills to put us over some fish. It was his turn to catch last time, my turn this time. Who knows what will happen next time? Laughing

Until the next tide ... Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: lakefisher, blondie, springwell
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys Very Happy.Very nice to see some "Crocs" on board.Red letter day Alan Cool.Nice to see Very Happy.Best regards.Steve Smile
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images, great fishing . . . thanks for sharing,
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder
Drynet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr Lakefisher, met you at Chew in May of this year.

After you kindly showed me the error of my ways in casting I took some tuition and needless to say I can now cast a little further.

The girls at CVL however are unimpressed with my improvement and only a couple of the tiddlers have been good enough to hook themselves with three bigger ones slipping the hook after showing me their flanks.

Glad to see that you have had a few.

Kind regards

Tony
Liked by: lakefisher
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the day well Tony - you were mentioned on my report on the day http://www.completefisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22336

Glad my assistance proved worthwhile Cool Quick hint for you going on what you said regarding pike hooking themselves - they usually don't - at the first sign of what may seem to be a hard take - Hit it - Twice - using the "strip strike" technique - keeping the rod pointing straight at your fly, pull hard 2X with your line holding hand gripping your line tightly - but be prepared to allow a braked run if you feel a pike "take off" - Only then lift your rod and commence the battle Wink

HTH and Welcome to the forum ......... T'other Tony Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: