The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Furled leaders

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Furled leaders Reply with quote

So far these have eluded me as I normally fish with a shop bought tapered leader and add tippet to the end and fish about fourteen feet of leader and tippet.
I have seen some good reports of furled leaders and am wondering if I should change my set up.
Would mention that I fish predominantly rivers with only a sortie once in a while to a stillwater where I kinda keeep a similar set up unless fishing sinking lines.
Should a change to a furled leader be recommended?
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Furled Leaders Reply with quote

Strange no replies to this.Marmite scenario and endless debate.Would not be without furled leaders personally especially on the river.If converted you will not look back.Not a major investment and well worth a trial.

Best JP
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, JCP. I've got two or three furled leaders, but seldom use them. I've tried but I find there is little advantage in it. My normal river leader is a 9' tapered leader to about 6lb and I then chop about 18" off it, add a tippet ring and then tie in 3' tippets as required. Works OK for me. Would a furled leader increase my catches to any significant degree? I doubt it, but in the interests of fairness I will try it on Tuesday on my next grayling day on the Itchen.
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
OK, JCP. I've got two or three furled leaders, but seldom use them. I've tried but I find there is little advantage in it. My normal river leader is a 9' tapered leader to about 6lb and I then chop about 18" off it, add a tippet ring and then tie in 3' tippets as required. Works OK for me. Would a furled leader increase my catches to any significant degree? I doubt it, but in the interests of fairness I will try it on Tuesday on my next grayling day on the Itchen.

Be interested to lean how you get on with the furled leaders as th jury is still out as far as I am concerned.

Used to fish parts of the Itchen be interested in what beats you fish.

Smile
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using g "loopy leaders" furled leaders this past season or so and they seem to help even using 10 - 12 ft (3,4 5) of leader with droppers. Can't remember the last time I had a tangle to the rig Cool and turn over is very good, much better than my 15ft plus set up using mono/fluro etc.

Catches don't seem to be affected. Smile
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Furled Leaders Reply with quote

Firstly let me say there are furled leaders and then there are furled leaders.They need to be balanced to the setup.Currently I use Mr Trout's from the other forum and Blue Sky from USA supplied in UK by Alan of Highlanderway.com
I use mono and braided for different applications.It is like anything.I tried them and liked them and expanded my interest to point where I hold a stock for various fly fishing applications including saltwater.One furled leader will not do all.They have excellent durability.In my experience one does not continue blindly to use an item if it holds no advantages for them Idea As I said it is the marmite scenario.As Yoda said ''do or do not there is no try''.There have been endless debates.I have no intention of attempting to justify my preference for furlies.I can and did make up my own tapered leaders for years and bought the ready made and attached a tippet.No need to sit on the fence until the ''Jury'' decides.I entered the world of Furled leaders through Jim Williams then a Guide/Instructor based in Wiltshire.That was in 2006 so I am living proof it is never too late for an old dog. Laughing.Apart from the basic fishing reasons I use them I prefer loops either braided or welded on most of my lines.The furled leader creates a slim non hinging convenient join which goes through the guides easily when necessary.If no loop on the fly line will use a Castwell Knot which has never failed me and also passes through the guides easily.

JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: