The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Chew Croc hunt 26/9/17

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Chew Croc hunt 26/9/17 Reply with quote

Tony Lakefisher and I had another session on Chew today. Conditions seemed promising with an overcast sky, reasonable clarity at 3 -4 feet and a light breeze to move the boat but unfortunately the girls didn't want to play.

Towards the end of the session I tried pulling a 2/0 Sparkler lure back quickly in the hope of enticing a Brownie or a Perch but all I got for my trouble were 4 of the smallest Pike I have ever caught on Chew. If I was lucky they might have made 3lb - combined!! Laughing

After Tony left early to avoid the Bristol traffic I went back out by the Sailing Club after Perch but they were hopelessly overgunned by the #10 and the wire trace. I just wished I had taken my #6, the fast sinker and a flybox full of Minkies and boobies with me. Nevertheless I had this little one first cast ....

... but that was it so I packed up at around 6.30pm.

Back in the car park it seemed that it had been a tough day although most had caught a decent Jack or two and one or two better Perch had also come to the net. It was also good to meet Drynet from the forum and I was pleased to hear he did better than us on the day! Very Happy

Not many out today - possibly 5 or 6 boats - and most seemed to be pike fly fishers.

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: blondie, lakefisher
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report on a pretty tough day Alan, the girls definitely not in the mood to play.

Two short hard taps was all I managed today - and I'm not even totally convinced they came from Pike Rolling Eyes

Here's a few shots of Alans tiddlers - just to prove he wasn't kidding regarding size Laughing

Had a few words with John Horsey as I left - appears he has not been finding the fly piking easy either
Nice to meet up with Tony(drynet) again. Very Happy

Till the next Hunt ....... Tony Cool
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Drynet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Chew Reply with quote

Good afternoon fellas, it was nice to meet you both last Monday, just a shame that nothing substantial decided to pop out.

I fished until Thursday so effectively did 4 full days.

As Allrounder has already stated, Monday produced just 2 jacks but pricked 6 other fish.

Tuesday produced 2 fish - biggest 8lbs. The other fish was caught on the JH Special that Lakefisher kindly gave me. One other pricked fish that day.

Wednesday produced around 40 perch - best going 1lbs.4oz. Unfortunately, also lost a similar number. Used around 10 different flies throughout the day swapping and changing colour variations. Not a single pike showed itself.

Thursday produced 3 jacks and 7 pricked fish.

All in all, lots of fish, however nothing substantial.

During the course of the 4 days the biggest fish I had heard of reported was a 12lbs 4oz pike and an exceptional 4lbs 1oz perch.

This now brings to a conclusion my Chew fly fishing for the year.

Regards.
Liked by: lakefisher, blondie, Allrounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: