The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Cormorant Watch
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Cormorant Watch Reply with quote

Good to see this site back again. Smile

http://www.cormorantwatch.com/

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I spotted it in the A.T magazine.
Only down side is I will keep losing count at Farmoor..
Crying or Very sad
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

167 sightings in England and Wales is laughable. It demonstrates one of two things: 1) they are not the problem we make them out to be, and 2) Anglers are too bone idle and apathetic to be bothered. Take your pick.
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added CVL Wink
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported the 40 I saw on Chew last Monday just before I posted the link on here. They were lined up on False Island and along the shore of Denny. It was undoubtedly an under estimate. They were conspicuous by their absense earlier in the year but they have certainly arrived now. Sad
Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Cormorants Reply with quote

Probably coinciding with the fry shoals on CVL.Quite funny recently as they gathered on the roof of one of the sailing towers on Farmoor and seemingly became engaged in a conversation whilst waiting for the Sushi Bar to open. Laughing Just like a scene from a Disney film.Maybe not so funny in the written word but funny to witness.No I did not count them but roof looked pretty full.

Best JP
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're missing the point here, chaps. The Angling Trust kicked this of back in 2011 and then it faded away. If all we have since then is 167 sightings across the whole of England and Wales we can hardly claim cormorants to be much more than an occasional local pest. If we had 16,700 sightings, or better still 167,000, in the same period, then the powers-that-be would take more notice. As it stands angling is regarded as something of an inarticulate lunatic fringe.

Just as an experiment, Peter, next time you are fishing off the bank at Farmoor ask other anglers if they have seen the cormorants; if they are members of the Angling Trust and if they have reported the cormorant sightings. I am prepared to wager that not 10% of then can answer in the positive.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right Bob.
I tried to find out how many individual members the Angling Trust have, so far I have not come up with a figure but still looking.
If the fishing community was as committed as the bird people and the RSPB we would be taken more seriously.
I have also just read in FFFT that the amount of people buying E.A licences has dropped 14% from 1.4 million to 1.26 million.
So let start reporting the cormorants, there must be several hundred roosting at Walthamstow alone.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
I tried to find out how many individual members the Angling Trust have, so far I have not come up with a figure but still looking.

You will be lucky to find Angling Trust membership stats in the public domain because it is politically sensitive information, Peter. However you can rest assured that it is a tiny percentage of the number of active anglers. Sad

Personally I am pleased to see the Angling Trust providing online tools like Cormorant Watch to enable anglers to upload data to inform their submissions to government. They can only fire the gun if anglers provide them with the bullets. Smile

I note my reported sighting at Chew has not been added to the map yet perhaps because it was made over the weekend? We may have more to add after Blagdon on Thursday! Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Alan.

If you have a hunt through and find the Angling Trust's Annual Financial Statement - the most recent is March 2016 - it should be possible to work out the number of individual members plus the club and corporate members as well. Individual memberships come out at a bit over 208,000 and by my reckoning that represents less than 10,000 members which compares most unfavourably with the million+ that the RSPB have. Evidence of the "don't care" apathy of anglers if ever any were needed.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from the RSPB web site.

The RSPB has over 1,300 employees, 18,000 volunteers and more than a million members (including 195,000 youth members), making it the largest wildlife conservation charity in Europe. The RSPB has many local groups and maintains 200 nature reserves.

It seems they have more youth members than the Angling Trust has adult members.
Crying or Very sad
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well, TV adverts that show "hedgehog hotels" are sure to attract the young.
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
Yes, well, TV adverts that show "hedgehog hotels" are sure to attract the young.

As a youngster which do you think would have more appeal . . .

or . . .

Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:

It seems they have more youth members than the Angling Trust has adult members. Crying or Very sad

...and that's the elephant in the room, Peter. Neutral

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what I mean about apathy? This thread has now accumulated 14 posts from 6 contributors. The rest of them out there couldn't give a damn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: