The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Why do so few women fish?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Why do so few women fish? Reply with quote

Is it because they find fishing repulsive due to the smell or even seen as boring.
Or is it seen as too masculine ie the hunter/gatherer and they should be seen at home.
Or is it FB and other attractions are better options?
Dunno!
Why is it so few women fish?
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do so few women fish? Reply with quote

Grey Hackle wrote:

Why is it so few women fish?

It's a very interesting question but one I fear that doesn't have one or a simple answer.

I do a number of Country Shows with the Game Angling Instructors Association where we provide casting instruction and it's interesting to note the percentage of women and children who present themselves for instruction, in numbers that are not reflected on the river or lake bank.

https://gameanglinginstructors.co.uk/gallery.html?start=40

I think you may find yourself on dodgy ground for suggesting that it's due to fishing being a rather smelly, hunter-gatherer and masculine pastime and I suspect it's rather more to do with a sense of not being made to feel welcome or being taken seriously. Odd when you think that 'A Treatyse of Fysshynge wyth an Angle' (1496), the earliest known volume on sport fishing was written by Dame Juliana Berners, a prioress from near St Albans.
Liked by: Whistlekiller
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly simply that some activities or interests tend to be gender based such as book & garden clubs
etc. are invariably overwhelmingly female.

The reason largely imo is because women enjoy talking ( some uncharitable souls might go as far as
calling it gas bagging ) so favour interests that provide the opportunity to do so. eg take note of any
small group joggers out for a run or a walk ... if they are male then you are unlikely to hear them conversing
as opposed to any of their female counterparts who are more likely to be engaged in constant chatter ...
what they find to talk about is beyond my comprehension particularly as often as not once home they then
ring one another to continue chatting.

As for fishing being a male dominated activity, perhaps it is largely due to our now latent yet still instinctive,
traditional roll as hunters, gatherers & providers of food in times gone by ... also can but wonder if women's
shoe sales existed back then ?'
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As men we generally have a advantage over women, we find it easy to get up and leave the kids
Liked by: Lighthouse
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighthouse speaks a lot of sense (just a minute, did I just say that?) in his analysis of why there's an absence of women fishing. It's also the same with fishing forums. Over the years I've cringed at some of the stupid, patronizing, sexist comments made by crusty old men to women on the more mainstream fishing forums, both coarse and game. It's hardly surprising that women leave such places quickly or just don't want to get involved in the first instance.

Interestingly, Mrs. Whistlekiller has no problem at all handling fish and is a keen angler but will only fish on a kill for food basis, regarding C&R as morally reprehensible (or some such emotive word) and cruel, a stance that is very difficult to argue against - so we agree to differ. Subsequently, you're only ever likely to see her on a fishery for a limited time early doors as she has a knack (unlike me) of bagging up quickly........ Mad

If you look around there are organizations for women anglers which tend to be insular for exactly the same reasons. They've had enough of men assuming a (quite often incorrect) air of superiority and prefer to fish with each other.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the fly fishing demographic would suggest that most fly-anglers (due to their advancing years but with the exception of the prolifically loined Lighthouse) have generally seen their offspring flee the nest so, while a novel thought, is probably not a serious contributory factor here.

Here's a link to a women's fishing group: Women's Fly Fishing Facebook

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the above, I wonder how many, or rather what proportion of women who are introduced to "the Sport" from the likes of C.F.R. actually stay on & continue to fish on a regular basis ?
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
tenet
2,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some who enjoy a bit of sport. The lovely April Vokey who now lives down under I believe.

Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do so few women fish? Reply with quote

Lighthouse wrote:
Odd when you think that 'A Treatyse of Fysshynge wyth an Angle' (1496), the earliest known volume on sport fishing was written by Dame Juliana Berners, a prioress from near St Albans.

... and you remember the Queen Mum was a keen angler and the Salmon record is held by Miss Georgina Ballantine! (below)

In my own experience I have seen more women fly fishing then I ever did coarse fishing or sea angling although that's not saying a lot. I think some forms of fishing are less attractive to women as few would fancy wading through mud and baiting up with live lug and peeler on the Bristol Channel, or riddling a gallon of maggot or chopping worms on their local carp pond. Not sure even I fancy doing that again these days! Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
VGB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thereís quite a few ladies fishing but they donít go on Forums
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VGB wrote:
I think thereís quite a few ladies fishing but they donít go on Forums

...and sometimes who can blame them? Rolling Eyes

Welcome to the forum , VGB! Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
VGB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome Alan, I donít blame them either. The response they seem to get is either condescending, rude or they get hit on by aging Lotharios. It doesnít do the sport any favours.

Regards

Vince
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey up Vince! Nice to see you here. Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Liked by: VGB
Sihajinna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a new knowledge for me after reading through it. It is very useful. And can be used.

sbobetonline

Last edited by Sihajinna on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a good thing in some ways that relatively few women fish. The ones I have encountered tend to be rather good at it and would put many a man in his place. Not too many men could stand the competition. There would be rather too much friction.

Actually, I think one of the reasons is the perceived lack of "facilities" at many fisheries. Not many women would venture into the toilets at some places I have been to.
Alexa Bliss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a women and fishing is my favortie hobby. However, I want to tell you some reasons why a women should fishing. From "Grumpy Old Men" to "A River Runs Through It," Hollywood is full of male-only fishing stereotypes that show men leaving wives and girlfriends at home (probably to braid their hair or clean the house) to partake in the manly pastime.

But in recent years, the number of fishing licenses sold to females has steadily risen, showing an increased interest in the sport‚ÄĒand for good reason. Not only can the activity have real physical and psychological benefits, but companies and organizations are also making it easier for women to fish by providing educational opportunities and female-specific gear that hasn't been available in the past.

There's no better time than the present for women to join their male counterparts on the water, shore or bank. And if you need a little more convincing, consider these reasons to get outside and cast your first line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: