The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

floating wf fly lines
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: floating wf fly lines Reply with quote

What is the best value WF line for stillwater bank fishing at the moment. Looking for good distance and low memory (if it exists)
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much you're okay paying for one, if money's no object then the Guideline range offer some great options https://www.fishingmegastore.com/guideline-fly-lines_78.html
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end it is down to personal preference but if I was looking for a new floater I would look no further than SKB, Barrio or Snowbee. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: fossil-fish
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: floating wf fly lines Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:
What is the best value WF line for stillwater bank fishing at the moment. Looking for good distance and low memory (if it exists)

For a combination of value for money and quality . . . at £29.99 you'd be hard pressed to beat the SKB Ultra Max Floating lines . . .

http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=114_120&product_id=140

Be cautious of being seduced by lines advertised as 'Distance Lines' as there is no combination of tapers and plastic with magical properties that will either add or make easier an extra 10 yards to your casting - the 'gift' of distance is solely contained within the limits of your hand, arm and head.

Distance lines such as the Mastery Expert Distance (£65 ish) tend to have exceptionally long rear tapers, designed for 'expert' casters who have the ability to carry a lot of line - outside the rod tip when casting - 60ft and more. If you're not able to do that then such a line would be detrimental rather than beneficial to your casting.
Liked by: fossil-fish
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Paul(lighthouse) above - Also worth remembering that if you are carrying extra line - you have to be aware of what is behind you. When I ran my own fishery, folks were seen to be catching willows, grass, fences and the occasional sheep on their backcast. Laughing

Not easy to "land" a frightened Ewe on a six weight Laughing They don't half PULL.

Tony
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Floating Fly Line Reply with quote

Rio In Touch Single Hand Spey.Best allrounder I have ever cast.

JP
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Floating Fly Line Reply with quote

JCP wrote:
Rio In Touch Single Hand Spey.Best allrounder I have ever cast.

JP

Then Jon you would enjoy Mike Barrio's SLX lines as they have a spey line profile with the weight at the rear. I have a #6 and it don't half go when required and very gentle on short casts lying straight and true. Cool

https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-slx.html
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those seeking the ideal combination to cast as far as the eye can see need to bear in mind that what we are doing is fishing and the casting is but a means of getting the flies out to where the fish can see them. That is but one part of the equation; the other part is seeing the take, and that message has to travel from eye to brain (thinking time). Then you get the response in which the brain tells the hands & arms to lift the rod (reaction time). That reaction has to be of sufficient force and speed to move the line and leader and thus set the hook.

The longer the line you have out there the quicker and more forceful you have to be and the deeper down the flies and hence the fish when it takes, the more force it needs to take up the slack and the stretch in the line.

Now ask yourselves how long it takes for a fish to twig that what he thinks is a buzzer is in fact a wrong 'un and to spit it out. Can you beat that with 30+ yards of line out?
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wylye, don't forget to add-in the line stretch factor as well.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkle.

Last five words in the penultimate paragraph. That said many fly lines these days have minimal stretch, but the rest of it creates a major "missed take" factor.

Several years ago I was boat fishing at Farmoor and it became clear that the fish were feeding very deep. The choice was a DI7 or maybe a floater with a very long leader. I chose the latter from a moored up boat. 25' of leader with a tungsten bead bloodworm on the point. A yarn indicator at the junction of flyline and leader. All I did was to flop this lot a few yards out to one side of the boat and pay out line as the indicator drifted downwind. After about two minutes the yarn stood upright, so that was maximum depth.

To cut the story short, I caught & released 25, but for everyone I boated I missed between 3 & 4 takes. Sometimes there would be just a liittle "kick" as I struck which was of the violent over my head sort of heave. The fish I got in were all hooked right at the front of the jaw, often just nicked through the skin. That was with 25 yards of fly line out and the fly probably around 20' down. Never felt a take - the indicator just popped under. Even keeping the line to the indicator as straight as possible there was still a lot of spare in the system to be taken up before the hook could hit the fish and they weren't going to sit there waiting for me to catch up.
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great day.
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the SKB Ultra Max. I could actually choose to spend a lot more but I really get on with these.

As far as catching things on the back cast goes I have always had a problem with trees. They some how seem to be able to move after you have checked behind you. Rolling Eyes

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy the most expensive line you can afford - that will satisfy your curiosity.
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Hackle wrote:
buy the most expensive line you can afford - that will satisfy your curiosity.

Why would i want to do that when i got you lot and your experience ?
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seeing as SKB owns the forum we may as well plug our wares! Thanks for all the recommendations chaps! Very Happy

See here: SKB Pitsford Pirate Ultra Max Fly Lines

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: