The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

An Introduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Float Tubing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: An Introduction Reply with quote

Float tubing is becoming the fastest growing method of fly fishing with an ever increasing number of waters allowing it, having finally worked out that it's not actually dangerous. It allows a whole new access to areas previously unavailable to either bank or boat anglers. Very Happy This forum will be useful for those mainly interested in the ways of the tube and also for advice and tips for anyone new to the pursuit. We hope to dispel some myths and explain what it's all about! Cool

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Rich! Cool

Perhaps a discussion around flippers would make a good subject to begin with? I see that a lot of sellers bundle a pair of 'free' flippers with their tubes but they are a lot smaller than the ones you and some of the other guys use. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.

Last edited by Allrounder on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Great idea, Rich! Cool

Perhaps a discussion around on flippers would make a good subject to begin with? I see that a lot of sellers bundle a pair of 'free' flippers with their tubes but they are a lot smaller than the ones you and some of the other guys use. Smile

Alan Wink

Contentious issue to begin with!

Mostly, the fins that come 'packaged' with tubes are very poor and no substitute for the real thing.

It is possible to source float tube specific fins . . . .

https://www.forcefin.com/fishing/force-fin-float-tube-fins

but, as you'll note they're particularly expensive and you'll have to import them which will add to the expense. I have a pair of Force Fins but now I mostly use a pair of dive fins - Hollis F1 Bat Fins . . .

https://www.simplyscuba.com/products/hollis-f1-fins?gclid=CjwKCAjw6djYBRB8EiwAoAF6oU2APs3UoqvWnNLoPf3vPJOoiMkl6YbhlXl9T6olUilP_xq206y1GhoC15kQAvD_BwE&variant=43419807954

. . . again, not cheap but they are easy to get on and off, are very secure and very efficient.

Good fins are worth their weight in gold and a worthwhile investment, making tubing far more efficient and enjoyable.

PS. Don't go into a Dive Shop and ask for 'flippers'. They're fins . . . Flipper was a character from a childrens' TV programme!
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha .... apologies for 'flippers'! Laughing Of course I should have called them fins! Embarassed

Thanks for the reply. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Great idea, Rich! Cool

Perhaps a discussion around on flippers would make a good subject to begin with? I see that a lot of sellers bundle a pair of 'free' flippers with their tubes but they are a lot smaller than the ones you and some of the other guys use. Smile

Alan Wink

It's actually Mick's idea although its something we've been meaning to do for quite a while. Watch this space for developments! Very Happy ""Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself."........ Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Float Tubing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: