The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Sutton Bingham 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Sutton Bingham 2019 Reply with quote

Sutton Bingham near Yeovil in Somerset is usually the first trout reservoir to open in the South West and so depending on the weather I try to get one or two sessions in if I can before the Bristol reservoirs open. In fact it opened yesterday but I decided to go today in order to miss the crowds and to allow a further 24 hours for any colour to drop out of the water from last weekends rain. I decided against an early start as I don't think they are always necessary this early in the season and by the time I had bought my ticket, said hello to Jake and Ivan in the lodge and walked to my spot in was getting on for 10am.

The reservoir was at top level and as I feared the run off from last weekends rain had stained the water more than I would have liked but the warm sunshine and gentle breeze gave me confidence that I would find some fish. I started on the North shore in a flat calm fishing two Boobies on a fast glass but it was the chap further along the bank that got the first fish in quite close on a floating line. Floating lines and a slow Fo8 retrieve seemed to be the favoured approach for most of the locals I met but I have confidence in my early season approach and it didn't let me down when a nice clean stockie pounced on the Black Booby at the end of my retrieve. Very Happy

After that I fished my way back along the North shore and tried a few spots in front of the Lodge with no further joy before arriving at the South shore where I met an angler carefully playing when looked like an enormous fish. It must have took him the best part of 15 minutes to get it to his net and towards the end of the fight I could see why. It was a big fish, over 4lb and probably nearer to 5lb, but it was foul hooked in the side of its head! I settled in just along the bank from him and after 20 minutes or so I felt a couple of sharp tugs which signaled the arrival of fish no.2 and by 2.30 fish no.3 was also in the bag. All 3 had taken the green eyed Black Booby on the Fast Glass.

After that I changed to a floating line and nymphs for the last couple of hours but had no further interest so packed up early at 5pm. My impression was that the fish were evenly, if rather thinly, spread along all banks and most anglers seemed to end up with either one or two fish. The word on the bank was that one guy got lucky in the morning and had his 5 fish limit within an hour although in a way I was glad it wasn't me because I would have spent more time driving than fishing today! Rolling Eyes

Lets hope this weather continues for a few more weeks! Very Happy

Until next time ...!

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.

Last edited by Allrounder on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: lakefisher, swampydick, BristolFlyer, tenet, JCP
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Sutton Bingham Reply with quote

Anything in the fish Alan ? Roach fry seem to figure quite strongly early season.

Best JP
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did well a few years ago with white boobies but this time they only had eyes for black with some lime green in the dressing. White did no good at all. I spooned the first one and found it was completely empty as were the other two when I got home. Confused
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: blondie, JCP
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been some cracking reports filtering through from Sutton Bingham where the current mild and settled spell seems to have done wonders for the fishing! However I didn't fancy an early start as I don't think they are necessary at this time of year so I didn't start fishing until 10am.

There was a decent turnout of around 25 -30 anglers dotted around the bank so I decided to drop in on the Lodge bank near the boats which had the added attraction of a gentle breeze on my back. The clarity had improved since last time and the colour that remained was nothing to worry about so I was confident it would fish well despite the bright sun that was breaking through the fog.

I started with my new Airflo Medium Glass with a Black/Green and an orange Booby on the leader, more because I wanted to try it out than anything else, but although it performed superbly I fancied the fish were still a little deeper so I changed to my 'go to' early season set up of a fast Glass intermediate with the same boobies. I tried various count downs and retrieves before a solid lock up told me I had found the right combination.

It was soon obvious that there were fish in front of me as the two guys on either side were also getting the odd pull and fish on floating lines, so after my 3rd fish to an Orange Booby I decided to abandon the 'dark side' in order to give myself more of a challenge and that I certainly did! Once again it was a case of trial and error with various flies, retrieves and leader lengths until I found a combination they took an interest in, but even then they preferred to nip the marabou tails rather than take the fly properly. They also showed no interest whatsoever in my Black DBs on the dropper which usually do well for me early season. Confused

However I didn't have to wait too long for my last two fish and I completed my 5 fish limit at around 2pm which was great because it meant I would avoid the work traffic in Yeovil on the journey home!. Very Happy

If you are getting itchy feet waiting for your favourite reservoir to open then I can thoroughly recommend Sutton Bingham at this time of year, especially in the current weather we are enjoying. Don't miss out! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, blondie, JCP
Silver Invicta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Last week Reply with quote

Hi all . late report .. fished SB around mid day on friday . Good quality fish , most came to a standard cats whisker on the top dropper , right in the corner of the dam . My fishing buddies managed to catch a carp each , one over 12lb , again on a cat ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: