The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Somerset Levels 25th February 19

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Somerset Levels 25th February 19 Reply with quote

I decided to get another session in on the Levels yesterday while this glorious weather lasts. Jack couldn't get away until early afternoon so as the weather was too nice to ignore, I decided to have a morning session on one of the local Drains. I arrived mid morning which was later than planned and for once I was pleased to see a little colour in the water as I felt this would offset the effect of the bright overhead sun. Wind was minimal and from left to right so it wasn't an issue unlike my last visit. Smile

I started fishing with a large black and copper fly that did the damage last time but found the going tough. After a couple of hours I could only point to one 'pull' that was probably a fish and another that probably wasnt as despite being wide, the drain here is only three to five feet deep at most. I then decided to ring the changes by fishing various different patterns but although I thought they looked good enough to eat in the water, the crocs thought different and they have the deciding vote. Sad

About quarter of a mile up the bank I decided to stop for cup of tea in the hope that it would give me some inspiration but the only thing I could think of was to go back to the trusted Black and Copper ... and it was a good job I did. After a couple of casts I felt a couple of savage tugs that thankfully locked up and after a spirited fight I managed to net my first fish of the day ... Cool

It wasn't as deep or wide across the back as the 8lb fish I had last time and I would give it around 6lb but whatever it weighed it was good to be off the mark! A little later I almost added another when a Croc crashed into my fly in the margins as I was about to lift off, but unfortunately it didn't stick. After that it was time to drive across the Levels to the Parrett to meet Jack.

We found the Parrett disappointingly low with soft muddy banks which made fishing difficult, but it takes more than a bit of mud to stop Jack the 'Croc Whisperer'. While I struggled for the rest of the afternoon without a pull, Jack managed to put 4 small crocs on the bank and pulled out of a few others. However as we approached our cars at dusk he kindly allowed me to fish in his favourite spot where we know there are some better fish while he fished a few yards further downstream. I've never had a pull here before but I got one shortly after starting ... which I promptly missed! Jack then pulled out of a better fish before he landed a fish for me which probably weighed about 4lb as darkness fell. Very Happy

So another good days fishing in unseasonably good weather. Just a couple more days of this before the weather breaks so I suggest you get out soon...!

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, BristolFlyer, montanajoe, blondie
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: