The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Thermometers ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Thermometers ??? Reply with quote

As the sun shines and the water temps rise I am considering the purchase of a water thermometer.
Years past I had friends who would not start fishing until they had checked the water temp, but this seems to have faded away.

My plan is to buy a cheap one and see if I find it a useful tool or just something else to wiegh down the tackle bag.

Any thoughts?

P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In days of yore salmon fishermen would take the water temp to see if "greased line" was the way to go. I seem to remember that the optimum temp was 45c for the switch - not sure it's so critical for Stillwater fishing .
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be useful from a boat tied to a length of cord with a knot at 12" intervals to see where (if) there is a thermocline at Farmoor in the summer.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder if that was a good use of a thermometer, you would need at least 30ft of string to reach the bottom but that is doable.
There is always an option of tossing it out from the bank under some sort of float to get an idea of water temps.
There are some cheap ones on Ebay which would be a good starting point.
P

wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that adding a 4oz lead to it to make it sink quickly would help to get more accurate readings at a given depth.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed.
I still have a set up which I used to see how deep it was under the boat. It consists of a rod handle a short length of the rod blank one ring a reel and a lot of braid backing with a 4 oz sea lead.
Hang it over the side and count off the 5ft markers as they go out. I got the idea from Bev Perkins ( again) he used a tape measure with a sea wieght.
Simple but efficient.
Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: