The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codfather wrote:
Alan Chew and Blagdon are opening on the same day, the 3rd of march. Your a better Angler than a Detective Laughing

You are correct codfather, although it seems odd that the boats are not available on Blagdon until Thursday10th March which is a week later. I think that's what threw me when I was scrolling through the dates. Apologies for this. Sad

I am getting the same error messages as you guys so I will raise it with Paul, the Forums IT Guru. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
malerogue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bristol Water Fisheries
Sierra Bravo the Barrows bank fishing resumes on 24th February 2022. Chew and Blagdon on 3rd March. From facebook page
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd take advantage of the break in the weather to get some fresh air and see how Chew is recharging. This was Herriots bridge where the river Chew enters...

...but there is still a long way to go.

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: blondie, mc07fly
Hillwalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. For reasons I won’t bore you with I was unable to fish at all during 2021, but I’m now planning to get fully back into it during 2022.

Seriously thinking of getting a season ticket, which I haven’t done for the last 15 years but must admit I’m a bit nervous of pressing the button on that due to the uncertainty about BW fisheries.

Whatever I decide, I’m looking forward to getting back out and I wish everyone a happy and healthy 2022.
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillwalker wrote:
Seriously thinking of getting a season ticket, which I haven’t done for the last 15 years but must admit I’m a bit nervous of pressing the button on that due to the uncertainty about BW fisheries.

Good to hear you can fish again next year Hillwalker. Very Happy

Bristol Water has given an undertaking that there will be trout fishing next season and have fish coming on in the hatchery for stocking. According to the BRFFA , the BW Board has also authorised an £110,000 investment towards Hatchery improvements and to replace a cage on Chew which seems odd when they seem so keen to offload the fishing, unless it is part of the deal with the prospective leaseholders? Whatever the reason, those developments provided me with enough confidence to renew my Season Ticket again for 2022 and I did so this morning, online. Very Happy

As for the future beyond next year, I think we all share your apprehension regarding the merger and the probable involvement of the South West Lakes Trust. A quick google search this afternoon found that the latest news regarding the merger/takeover by the Pennon Group PLC was published just before Christmas on the Government website and can be read here. The upshot is that the Competition and Markets Authority has reservations around how the proposed merger will impact on OFWAT's ability to regulate the market so unless these can be satisfied quickly, the process will move on to 'Stage 2' of the inquiry which will drag the whole process on into 2022. Rolling Eyes

As anglers we have no say on the merger process although we may be able to influence the fishing situation further down the road by giving the lakes our custom and the BRFFA our full support during 2022. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Hillwalker, blondie
Hillwalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan. Great to hear your positive viewpoint on this and I do agree that the more we anglers support the fishery then that can only help our cause in the future, even if ultimately it’s out of our hands.

I think I’m probably going to go for the midweek all waters season ticket - with the lower bag limit in anticipation of my likely prowess on the bank 🙂
Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pennon Group is a plc listed company rather than an organisation owned/controlled by venture capitalists (BW). Over 80% of its profits come from South West Water which has nothing whatsoever to do with South West Lakes Trust as far as I can tell.
Provided the terms of the lease given by BW to SWLT are honoured by Pennon plc then one would imagine fishing at the lakes will continue, hopefully, seamlessly. My thoughts are that SWLT will use the "refurbed" hatchery for not only the BW lakes but also other waters under their control. They probably have to buy in stock for the lakes currently under their control so an efficiently run hatchery would be a massive cost saving.
Anyway, Happy New Year to all respondents and let's hope 2022 proves to be a good one.🙃😄🤗
Liked by: Allrounder, mc07fly, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
The Pennon Group is a plc listed company rather than an organisation owned/controlled by venture capitalists (BW). Over 80% of its profits come from South West Water which has nothing whatsoever to do with South West Lakes Trust as far as I can tell.

Although they are separate entities, I think the relationship between Pennon and the South West Lakes Trust is very close. This opening paragraph on the Bournemouth Water Leisure website (although outdated) is worth a read. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, malerogue, mc07fly
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Pennon and SWLT are in bed together. The Chair of SWLT is close to Pennon here:

David Robertson, Chairman
David was, until 31 March 2011, the Finance Director of Viridor, having previously been Financial Controller of the Pennon Group Plc. He joined the Pennon Group in 1991 as Group Auditor. Prior to that he worked for KPMG, where he was Senior Manager of the Exeter office. A Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and is a graduate in Business Studies. He was also a non executive director of the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust from 2010 to 2017.

Along with another trustee :

Ed Mitchell
Ed was appointed in 2017 as Director of Environment for Pennon. Prior to this he was Executive Director at the Environment Agency, responsible for their approach to water quality, water resources, industry regulation, land management, climate change adaptation and sustainable development.

Ed is a Non-Executive Director of Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor, a not-for-profit company he helped set up which provides water, sanitation and hygiene services to people living in slums in the developing world. He is also Deputy Chair of South West Water and Bournemouth Water’s Customer Challenge Group, the WaterFuture Customer Panel and Chair of South West Water’s Conservation and Recreation Forum. He chairs the Canal and River Trust Environmental Advisory Group and is a member of the Audit and Risk Committee of the Vale Academy Trust, a group of primary and secondary schools in Oxfordshire.

Just found aother.

Jo Ecroyd
Jo became the Customer Service Director at South West Water Limited in 2016. Having joined South West Water Limited in 1990 she has held a number of senior positions and is now responsible for providing leadership and direction to ensure the delivery of high quality services and exceptional experience for all customers. Jo is accountable for all aspects of retail services for household customers, alongside services provided to the non-household water retail market. She is also the Chair of the Diversity and Inclusion Steering Group at Pennon Plc promoting a culture of inclusivity for all.

So 3 of the 10 trustees of SWLT have very close links to the Pennon Group.
Liked by: Fryfishing, Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, Doug. Wink

I've just posted a new Bristol Water Reservoirs thread for 2022 so this thread is now closed. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: blondie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Page 30 of 30

Jump to: