The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that Storm Eunice has brought down a tree blocking access to Wick Green on Chew. As a result access to this bank has been closed until further notice . Details on facebook here . Hopefully this will be sorted out before the season opens! This announcement led to a discussion in the comments section around bank erosion at Wick Green which included the following response from BWF ...

Plans to manage erosion through both soft and hard engineering are being investigated for some key areas of the lakes by the company. These projects are typically capital funded and not directly managed or funded by fisheries budgets. These are big projects to undertake that generally have high costs associated.

Lakeside management do and have worked with engineers and project groups when these conversations take place. In recent months, we have been involved in discussions with enginneers for the North shore area of Chew as this has been a particuarly heavily eroded bank in recent years.

I cant update any more at present but can assure you that preventing/slowing bank erosion is certainly on the radar.

John

I'm relieved to hear that bank erosion at North Shore is being taken seriously and hopefully the problem can also be addressed at Wick too as the bank is edging ever closer to the Bird hide. Sad

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: arkle, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One look at the weather forecast last Sunday told me that my first session on the Bristol reservoirs this year wouldn't be on the Season Ticket Holders day on Tuesday or the official opening on the Tanks on Thursday. While a few years ago I would have been on the bank whatever the weather, these days I'm not that desperate to catch a stocky Rainbow especially as the weather for today, Friday, was predicted to be much nicer. Laughing

I arrived at the main car park this morning shortly after 8.30am and after quickly tackling up I decided to start on No.2 across the road. The weather was as nice as predicted with light winds although a bit more cloud cover would have been nice early on as the water clarity was very good. Given the conditions it seemed like sacrilege to fish a sinking line so my initial approach was a floating line with a beadhead Tadpole on the point, a Cruncher in the middle and a Diawl Bach on the top dropper. The wind on the roadside bank was perfect for swinging around my flies and I confidently expected my line to tighten up with ever cast but after fishing my way around most of the perimeter of No.2 I was still waiting for my first pull. Crying or Very sad

The only other angler fishing before I arrived told me he had a fish and had lost one on a D7 and boobies. More anglers arrived shortly after from No.3 where they said it was hard going but I carried on around the Tank again trying various spots until I stopped half way along the causeway at around 1pm for a tea break. My floater wasn't doing anything for me so I finally gave in to the 'Dark Side' by swapping it for my Fast Glass intermediate with a Black Booby on the point and a FAB on the dropper. After my break I tried 'step and casting' along the bank but that didn't seem to work either until I got a sharp tap followed by a proper lock up about 20 yards along. Fortunately it stayed attached and after a short fight my first trout of 2022 was safely in my bass bag ...

I quickly returned to the same spot and after another couple of casts I had another pull and that fish also ended in the net. All this excitement didn't go unnoticed and soon I was joined by one of the BRFFA match guys and for the next half an hour we both had multiple pulls and a few fish in the net although we both lost far more than we landed. All my fish took the Black Booby on the point and completely ignored the FAB. After that it went decidedly quiet with just the odd pull until I decided to call it a day at 3.30pm in order to miss the Bristol traffic going home.

I ended up with 5 Barrow Bullets averaging around 1-4 and lost just as many during the fight including one that was at least twice as big as the others. A Ranger doing his rounds told me that opening day had fished very well with catches of over 30 fish reported although he said it was fishing a lot harder today. That's no bad thing if you ask me. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I'll be fishing the season ticket holders day on Chew next Tuesday. Anyone else got plans for next week? Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, codfather, lakefisher, Fryfishing, arkle, blondie, Limpet
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrows tomorrow, followed by blagdon, Sutton Bingham and Chew. A busy week Very Happy It seems like You have to look for the fish at the Barrows.
Has many come out at stocky corner and the pipe on no.3?
Liked by: blondie, Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have a busy week ahead, CF! Very Happy

I didn't fish No.3 but I saw a fish being landed from Stocky Corner from across the road on No.2 and it looked quite busy.
From what I gather from those who fished last Tuesday and Thursday the fish were tightly podded up and it was a case of walking until you found them. The pod that produced the cricket scores was particularly large by all accounts. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: blondie, arkle, codfather
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oak Tree on Chew has never let me down on the first day in over a decade so I had no hesitation in pulling into the car park at first light this morning. I was expecting to see at least one car there before me but I was the first to report although I was joined by another 2 other anglers before 7am. As it was the first day I wasn't in any hurry to get tackled up and after chatting to the other guys I made my way to the left hand of the Oak Tree at 7.10pm

The weather forecast suggested an overcast morning with rain later on and light wind to start and that turned out to be the case . The clarity was good despite a hint of colour so I elected to start with my new Bloke 10 foot #7 rod coupled with a floating line with a small black tadpole on the dropper and a larger beadhead green and black tadpole on the point. After a couple of casts everything tightened up but then I felt a slight tug and everything went slack. It felt for all the world like a Pike 'bite off' but when I retrieved my cast both flies were present and correct. Confused

A few casts later a tap was followed by a lock up and I had no doubt that this was a trout. It gave a good account of itself before coming to the net and it ended up in my bass bag. A quick time check suggested it was 7.20am so not a bad start! By now a few more rods had arrived and soon everyone was into fish with plenty of rods bent at the same time along the bank. I persevered with the floater to good effect with knocks or pulls every three or four casts although not all ended up in the net. As the trout can be a bit silly on the first day I had thought about fishing only a single fly to avoid 'double hook ups' and after an hour I thought I was going to regret not doing so as I was taken down into my backing by a powerful run. However the suspected 'double hook up' proved to be no such thing and after a long tug of war this lovely 5-10 Rainbow joined the others in my bass bag ...

As the morning wore on the wind picked up which affected the clarity and it also got decidedly colder which had an adverse effect on the number of knocks and pulls. I carried on with the floater and slowed down my already slow Fo8 retrieve to almost static, just letting my flies drift around on the wind which resulted in more taps and tugs but the fish were very finicky and were often just tugging the marabou tails on my flies, with very few locking up. By now the wind had increased and as I was wading I was starting to get cold so I gave them best at 10.30am.

So a great start to the season. I feel that the rank and file stockies may be a little smaller this year averaging around 2-4 but there are some lumps in among them as I wasn't the only one to catch a much better fish. All my fish were also in great condition and didn't have any with pike damage which was good to see. I was also very pleased with my new Bloke rod which put out a very long line and dealt with the fish admirably. I think I may have found my 'go to' bank rod for the two larger Bristol reservoirs. Very Happy

I say this every season but if you want your string pulled, now is the best time to visit the lakes. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Bovver, Fryfishing, tenet, blondie, lakefisher, Doombar, arkle, mc07fly, Limpet, Bongoch, Hillwalker, codfather
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Alan.
A win win for your first day on Chew for the season.
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That got the juices flowing Al - thanks for posting🤗
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report of your day at Chew Alan - Pleased that you have managed to christen your new Bloke with such a stunning trout.

Tony
Bongoch
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad opening day went well Alan. I thought about taking the day off to fish it but in the end decided to save the day for later in the year.

Wasn't able to get to the Barrows opening day but I did fish them last Saturday. Arrived just before dawn and headed up to #2 starting on the left-hand side of roadside bank. Started off with diawls on the droppers and a buzzer on the point. After 15 mins the line slipped away but on its first run the middle dropper snapped Sad. After a quick repair job the line went tight again and after a long tussle a lovely 3lb fish was netted and returned. With 2 takes before 8am I thought it was going to be a great session. However, after the sun got above Dundry hill the wind strengthened and things went quiet. Moved to various places round #2, but nothing was stirring. Had a short go on #1 but similar outcome there. Fished until 11am before heading home, didn't see anyone else catch anything whilst I was there. Not the easiest of mornings but at least I'm off the mark! Very Happy

Liked by: mc07fly, Allrounder, tenet, arkle, blondie, Bovver, codfather
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Bongoch! Sounds like fish on the Tanks are still playing hard to get, unless you can find a pod! Smile

All the reservoirs will be fully open from tomorrow so if any of you reading this do manage to get out, don't forget to post a few words on here to tell everyone how you got on, good or bad. Regular reports from as many of us as possible will help everyone to get the most out of fishing the lakes this season. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few hours to spare this afternoon so I decided to try Chew again, arriving at the Oak Tree just after 2.30pm. The bank was empty apart from a lone fisherman to my far left but as it was mid week I wasn't worried until the third car stopped behind me to tell me that this bank had been fishing 'really hard' recently. Despite this I decided to persevere with a floating line and a beadhead Tadpole on the point, with a Buzzer and Cruncher on droppers and a slow retrieve but despite trying various spots along the bank as well as an hour or so fishing Nunnery stones and the Beach, by 4.45pm I was still waiting for my first pull. Sad

I was reluctant to move given that I only had a few hours to fish but then I recalled that one of my passing informants said that Woodford bank 'looked busy' earlier so I decided to have a look. I arrived at around 5pm to find 3 anglers on the bank who told me that fish had been caught earlier but it had now gone quiet. That wasn't what I wanted to hear but I decided to try a few casts half way along the bank anyway and I'm glad I did. I quickly found that a long cast with a very slow Fo8 retrieve was met with an occasional tap or nibble of the marabou but nothing locked up until I changed to a smaller beadhead Tadpole on the point. That produced my first proper pull of the afternoon and a Rainbow that weighed 3-14, which was quickly followed by another weighing 3-1, both of which took the smaller beadhead Tadpole on the point. I had a few more casts after that but only had the occasional timid knock or nibble so as the light was fading I was more than happy to call it an afternoon. Smile

So once again the lesson was ... if you aren't getting any pulls - MOVE! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: swampydick, arkle, tenet, Bovver, lakefisher, blondie, codfather
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving is always good advice if nothing is happening Very Happy That is no doubt why we are not carp fishers Very Happy

Would a 3lb plus fish be a resident or a larger stocked fish??
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter
My larger fish so far have all been stockies although there have been some big resident fish to over 8lb reported. Fish that have overwintered in the lake tend to be thinner at this time of year with proportionately larger heads and tails.

Alan
B.A.S.S.

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report and picture of a 43lb pike on John Horsey's FB page -taken on trout gear. Amazing.
Can't seem to upload the picture but those more tech savvy may be able to do so.
Liked by: lakefisher, blondie, Allrounder
Limpet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Pike Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Report and picture of a 43lb pike on John Horsey's FB page -taken on trout gear. Amazing.
Can't seem to upload the picture but those more tech savvy may be able to do so.

Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, blondie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: