The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malerogue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twitcher Alert...rare species seen at Blagdon... Lesser spotted WeedCutter along the Lawn Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to catch a few like this on trout gear rather than on a 6" pike fly. It weighed 6lb 5oz and was safely returned. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: arkle, tenet, mc07fly, blondie, lakefisher, Fryfishing, Doombar, Bongoch, Limpet, Silver Invicta
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: A Chew Cracker!! Reply with quote

Allrounder,
A fabulous fish and a great photo.
So nice to see the successful angler looking appreciatively at his fish rather than at the camera!
A true angler's photo. Bravo!
Best, Mike
Liked by: blondie, lakefisher, Fryfishing, Allrounder, arkle
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully concur with what Mike (mc07fly) said Cool
Been there,done that, on many occasions when after the Girls - Very hard to be disappointed when you are "accidentally" catching such magnificent Rainbows.
I released mine also - after a pic when possible Wink

Well done Mate ........ Tony Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie, arkle
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, but the credit should go to my boat partner on the day Matt Healey who took the pic. I must admit that I was pleased with the result. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: lakefisher, blondie
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Blagdon Tuesday 5th July morning session Reply with quote

I arrived with low expectations, but the thick cloud cover building quickly from the West and the light less gusty winds were promising.
The water temp had also fallen from last week to 18C and the clarity was excellent.

I fished along the westerly weedbeds in Home Bay and Butcombe and enjoyed some fabulous sport.

By early afternoon I had returned ten fish with two around 4lb5oz; four around 3lbs 4oz and four around 2lbs 6oz.

I used my Duffer's rig with a Hover polyleader to keep the flies higher in the water. A small hot head damsel on the point and a red holo rib DB on a single droppper as the weed is growing fast and thick now. Best retrieves were a very slow Fo8 or rhythmic 4" pulls.

A couple of good fish weeded me but I got all the gear back...minus the fish...so no great harm done.

Overall a surprising result after initial feedback from the Rangers that things had been very slow for several days and only one angler had been out on Monday and he had been rewarded with a blank.

So fortune favoured the brave this morning.

Tight lines!
McFly
Liked by: tenet, Limpet, BristolFlyer, Doombar, JCP, Bongoch, blondie, Allrounder, arkle
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Resuly Reply with quote

I would call that a result Mr McFly Laughing Brings an old man in a boat motto to mind.''not by strength by guile'' Wink
Liked by: mc07fly, blondie
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon boat on Chew today with my old mate Pino. Yet again forecast was totally wrong - all week there was promise of cloud and 13mph w.sw wind. What we had was almost wall to wall sunshine and a very stiff breeze giving white horses at times. Levels down but clarity good at about 5ft. Started down Stratford with a drift across the basin with a daddy on the point and dbs on droppers. Half way across a savage pull and a grilse like rainbow, that later weighed 51/2lb, took the daddy. A good fight ensued before netting and on examining the leader my top dropper was missing so wonder if I had a double hookup. Pino then hit into a good fish which proved to be Esox which promptly bit through his leader. Great start but that was it. Did another 3 or 4 drifts across before going walkabouts ringing the changes. Wind was savage at times making life very difficult. We never had another pull between us so apart from the initial elation a poor day. Spoke with MC who said things have been tough with his guests only taking 3 fish on Tuesday with perfect conditions.

Liked by: BristolFlyer, blondie, JCP, lakefisher, mc07fly, Allrounder, arkle
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Blagdon Thursday 7th July: morning session Reply with quote

I had an opportunity to repeat the extraordinary success of Tuesday...just 48hours later...but how things had changed!

Tuesday's muggy SW light breeze and very heavy cloud cover had been replaced by a frisky but quite warm N to NE breeze with sparse cloud and bright sunshine.
The water temp had ticked back up closer to 19C but the clarity remained excellent. The high pressure was still in place.

I tried all my previous successful pitches but only one fish took pity on me over the entire morning session.

I still had the Sonar with me so I thought it would be interesting to see if it could pick up any major changes from Tuesday. The results were quite startling.

The fish previously scattered across the 4 -6ft contours of Butcombe Bay had moved out just beyond the island to sit over the 13-14ft contour. The same story at Pipe Bay with fish now over 14ft.

There were still a few fish remaining in the weeds in Home Bay but most had also moved into much deeper water.

I did switch to sinking lines and spent a couple of hours with some proven tempters but could not buy a pull. I was not surprised by the relocation of the fish because I have seen this happen in most previous years. The surprising thing to me was how quickly the fish had moved to a more comfortable environment. I had never realised just how quickly this could occur.

Best,
McFly
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, blondie, arkle, JCP
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought that was you out off the weed in Home Bay McFly, mainly cos the ranger pointed you out & said you'd had 12 on Tuesday in that spot!

I hadn't fished Blagdon for a while & had a morning boat today. First off went across to Butcombe & tried several drifts out from the western shore without success. Then to Home Bay where I picked up a 2 pounder on a s14 red DB. That proved a false dawn & with no other interest over the next hour I headed over to Ash Trees where I'd seen 4 bank anglers & found a nice drift out & along the edge of the weedbed to the left of AshTree & took a nice rainbow that I kept (3.6) but again & despite giving it a good hour, nothing more. That again was on the small DB, top dropper.

Then off to top end & several drifts among the weed, made slightly awkward by the variable wind. Tried damsels, weighted, neutral, booby & various hotspot as well as DBs, even going to a cast of 2 x s14s on a lighter leader, all without any interest.

There had been a distinct lack of surface activity, even though it was dead insect soup in the calm water in Butcombe in the morning, but reading McFlys research proving the fish had moved deep (why, in those conditions???) it maybe explains it. Anyway, I decided to move again & began motoring back up the middle to try Home Bay, but as I was about level with Wood Bay point I saw a couple of fish move. Rubbed eyes, but on stopping & waiting there were a couple more. This was now in bright sunshine & nothing I could see coming off, so no obvious logic to it. Over the next half hour I covered at least a dozen fish with only a half hearted follow to a FAB (yep, desperate) to show for it. I repeated the drift & stuck on the dries which had the usual effect of stopping all surface activity, & then it was time to go home.

A pleasant morning even if it was hard work. Just good to be out again.
Liked by: mc07fly, tenet, JCP, Allrounder, blondie, arkle
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction to above. First fish came from Holt Bay, not Home Bay.
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Blagdon post script Reply with quote

You deserved better, Doombar! Proper angling, as usual.

I vaguely saw you taking off across to Ash Trees and I spotted the bank anglers in residence!. Presume one or more of their Cartel had caught there on the previous evening.
They are understandably secretive but I've found them to be friendly enough over the years. I always look around to see if and where they are still fishing when I head out in the morning!!

I haven't given up yet as I think things may settle down again if the very warm weather eases a bit and the water temp does not climb too much higher.
I've just checked my stock of Bread and Butter FABs! Wink

Tight lines!
McFly
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle
malerogue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More weed cutting, Cheddar, Lawn(again) and Rainbow
Liked by: Allrounder
Mallard
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reliably informed that there has been a big “die off” of fish both in the hatcheries and the lakes recently with the heat wave. Does not bode well for the rest of the season. A local angler took a water temperature reading at Chew yesterday pm and read 23C. Needs a serious amount of fresh water in to the lake asap.

On a more positive note, John Norris have started there usual summer fishing equipment sale this week. Lots of big discounts on Guideline tackle especially if anyone is looking for a deal.
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't suspend fishing then surely it should be catch and kill as for sure any fish returned, after a hard fight, will die. Farmoor have imposed this restriction and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they suspend fishing altogether until water temps fall back.
Liked by: arkle, blondie
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 16 of 21

Jump to: