The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Farmoor 2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Farmoor 2022 Reply with quote

Thought it was about time we got up to date.
Liked by: tenet
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.
I am booked in for a boat on Tuesday, so look out for a report.
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Liked by: tenet
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a cold but calm day for my first visit of 2022. The BBC reported light winds from the N/W and a temp of 3 degrees and that is what I got when I arrived at 10.30. The water temp was a steady 5 and gin clear.

It turned into a tuff day for me with very little interest to the boobies while back drifting. I tried tying up to a buoy for some cast and retrieve as well as mixing up the drifting methods, flies and leader lengths. I did manage to catch a cracking grown on trout which came up empty on spooning. Sad

When back drifting it can get a tad boring (if it is slow) so I took along the fish finder, it was noticeable that there are large areas that seems to show no fish. At one point I saw cormorants diving and a trip through the area pinpointed a shoal of bait fish but no trout.

On returning to the dock and a chat to another angler and he reported seven fish to a pink snake Very Happy which rather confirms that the fish are in shoals and if you do not find them you can’t catch them.
At least I did not blank.
P

Liked by: tenet, Allrounder
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was rather hoping that you may have smashed it Peter. Odd reports on FB show some folk scoring well, although boat returns were c4, but suspect that (a) they had a breeze to assist backdrifting and (b) found the shoals and really worked them.

Hope you've warmed up by now.🙂
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you said, it sounds like they are podded up. Definitely an excuse to use your sounder. Wink

Did you try close to the Star Wars walkers? There are usually a few fish holding around there although I've found the odd Esox is rather partial to that area too! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were only four trout boats out and one predator boat which spent the day fishing at the dock. I was away from the other boats so could not see people catching fish.
The fella I spoke to spent the morning tied to a buoy in front of the wardens office then moved to the east bank. Another boat kept doing a drift about a hundred yards from the dock and I saw them land a fish as I returned to the dock.
The two towers were devoid of fish, I watched one boat fish the tower on the south bank with out catching before I moved back to the causeway where I caught my only fish.

It would be useful if they published fish stocking dates so we could get an idea of stock levels. There is also no sign of any work taking place on the new dock on No1.
P

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted on FB 21st Jan:
Morning, we had a stocking this week, 2500kg of prime rainbows ready to grow on and provide you with the sport you have come to expect at Farmoor.
Bank averages are 2.1 per rod with the boats faring slightly better at 4.5 per rod.

Maybe the recent stock need to settle into some sort of feeding pattern which sometimes takes a week or 2.
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the main problem would be the lack of breeze. There needs to be SOME movement to get the flies working down deep and to enable the boat to cover some ground. The club I'm in has their annual back dragging day on the 6th and I've agreed to go providing it isn't freezing.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wylye, What I found watching the fish finder while waiting for some action was the complete lack of fish signatures coming back across large areas of the reservoir.
In previous years I would see fish across most areas, and would normally get a tug on the flies as they went over the areas which showed fish.

I know fish finders are not a bullet proof way of detecting fish because of the size of the sonar cone going down through the water.

I am planning to go again next week weather permitting.
P

Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My day did not go as planned. Due to the strong Westerly winds and my time of arrival it meant that the boats were no longer being let out. One boat had left the dock earlier before the wind increased and it remained out with one occupant.
I drove around to the west bank of No2 where it was considerably calmer and sunny, but I could not contact any fish, so I made a quick move to No1.
It was all feeling a bit hopeless but then I had a solid pull which made me think I was doing something right.
I did manage a HUGE rainbow of at least five pounds and in full Winter colours from No1 on a white boobie. That was it for five hours of fishing.

I learnt two things today.
1) Don’t book a boat if the forecast is 15mph westerly.
2) That there are signal crayfish in Farmoor 2 (and probably no1).

There was a great Northern Diver on No2 and a twitcher showed me a picture he had taken of it with a crayfish in its beak. He said others had similar picture of it feeding on crayfish.
P

Last edited by Fryfishing on Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough and disappointing day Peter Sad - I tend to cherry pick my days and often book just 24 hours in advance. Easy without work commitments.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to only half believe the weather forecast but on the last two occasions it has been spot on.

The waves were rolling in towards the dock , but not over it and there were no issues with letting the sailing boats and sail boarders out. No doubt health and safety for T.W.

The big rainbow helped improve the day.
P

wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as the Thames is wall to wall signals I'd have been amazed to learn there were NO signals in the Farmoors.

The club I'm in have their annual back dragging day on Sunday and the weather does not look promising. Last time I looked at the forecast it was saying 16-18mph winds with gusts up to 33mph. Best to forget this one methinks.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
Seeing as the Thames is wall to wall signals I'd have been amazed to learn there were NO signals in the Farmoors.

That was my thinking as well, especially since I had found remains of a signal cray on the bank BUT one of the wardens ( Chris I think) told me categorically they were not in there.

Sundays weather sounds a bit extreme for a bit of drifting, plus you would have all the mad sailing craft users tearing by the boats.
P

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest missive on FB today.

8h  · 

F1 produced some good fish yesterday for bank anglers going deep with lures and fry patterns,

one RB of nearly 6lb and brownies of a similar stamp.

Farmoor 2 boats continue to fish well with 11 anglers catching 49 fish for a 4.5 ave. using Di 7 and boobies
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: