The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

A Grand Day Out

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Photo Gallery -> Photo Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicepix
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: A Grand Day Out Reply with quote

Fished the Wharfe at Collingham today with Gary Charles and Mick Pogson. The weather was kind and the river level back to normal so it looked promising.

Here's Gary fishing the seam....

And landing a nice Grayling for his efforts.

Mick is more of a deep and purposeful type of angler revelling in bouncing tiny weighted nymphs along the bottom. He took a selection of dace and grayling to his size 20 B/H PTN...

Ruby got in on the act when the Kelly Kettle and sandwiches were brought out at half time on our private island retreat...

As for me? Well, I took some photos, fluffed a load of takes by striking too early (I was still in the dace fishing mode) and fluked a Grayling on a Klink tied by the Charlesmeister.

A grand day out in good company. Very Happy

Clive
GaryC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Collingham Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite Clive. Another excellent day with the Yorkshire triumvirate.
The weather and the river were superb for the time of year even if the fish weren't so obliging. Mick really does know his stuff even if we do give him hell about his poor double haul of 9'. Laughing
How the hell do you work out that the fish are taking size 20 PTN's??????????
Still I stopped at Wharfedale on the way home and got mysen some 20's and 22's with some 2.3mm beads. I wont let it be said that I don't learn from a lesson. Thanks Mick, you are the better angler but we don't like to admit it since you do it with what amounts to WHIP fishing with a pole!
Same again next week at pool if your up for it, Its actually 9 miles further along the road.
Thanks again and I'm tying as we speak(does age cause memory loss?)
Klinks on 20's and PTN's on 22's.
Gary Razz
Coolstreams

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I had a great time, the company and location were fantastic and I'm sure we would of have all done better if we had fished more and chatted less, but I think we all enjoyed ourselves.

I've been having a lot of success with grayling on the size 20 B/H PTN this back end and so I wasn't surpirsed when the Wharfe grayling showed a liking for it but the dace were a nice surprise. I think I was just in the right spot at the right time as I took most of the fish in the space of 40 minutes all in the same few feet of water.

It would be great to meet up again next Friday at pool Gary, and I'll confirm with you later in the week.

Thanks again for a great day Clive and I still owe you 3 for the day ticket.

Cheers

mick pogson
Nicepix
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the day ticket mate. It was a pleasure to see you double hauling a whole 6 feet of line out of your tip ring. When that bigger grayling went off on a run I swear I saw dust coming from the line on your reel. Very Happy

Joking aside, I have to say how impressed I am at your nymphing technique. When you think that I was covering ten to fifteen times more water with my cast, mend, drift and swing approach and you were pulling fish after fish out under your rod end, it just shows that technique counts for more than just covering fish.

I have dug out some 20 and 22 nymphs and will be tying a few sparse beadhead PTNs and shrimps in those sizes to try out. It certainly made an impression on me.

Here's to next time. Hopefully by then we shall have had a few frosts and the Grayling will be packed up in shoals. I suspect that they aren't quite ready yet going on Friday's results. Very Happy

Clive
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 for a day ticket! Makes you want to cry.

Excellent pictures Clive.

Chris

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Nicepix
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
3 for a day ticket! Makes you want to cry.

Chris

Too true. Crying or Very sad

They were the first day tickets I've bought since April. I've been fishing free rivers all season, but I don't want the Cleckuddersfax Mafia to know about those. Wink

Clive
sweeper driver
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 for a day ticket? You wanna pop down to Sutton Springs...110 for a 2 fish day ticket!!!

3.... Shock

--------------------------------------------------------

"the trout, the whole trout and nothing but the trout..."
GaryC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Day Tickets Reply with quote

Sweeper et al
110 for a day ticket Shock Shock Shock
We Yorkshiremen work too darned hard for our money to be parted with it so easily. Rolling Eyes
I reckon that between the three of us we could fish for the price of the EA license and enjoy a full season of trout, grayling and possibly sea trout not to mention the coarse fish all for FREE.
So If you ever fancy a days fishing for the price of the petrol and a couple of quid for the more expensive beats just ask to join us. Very Happy
Were a friendly if somewhat P*ss taking bunch.
Gary Very Happy
Nicepix
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Day Tickets Reply with quote

GaryC wrote:

Were a friendly if somewhat P*ss taking bunch.
Gary Very Happy

Especially where southerners are concerned. Laughing

Actually, Gary's suggestion isn't bad at all. When you think that two or three of you could share the cost of fuel and the driving it could work out cheaper than fishing darn sarf. You could even get B&B for about 20 each midweek. There used to be a foursome of London golfers who drove up to play near Barnsley and Wakefield every week because the course here offered better value for money, all things considered.

Clive
killipso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you making those southern folk jealous Clive Wink Looks like you had fun - and well done you for getting in there when the river wasn't all over the fields! It seems like stillwater or nothing round our neck of the woods at the moment Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Photo Gallery -> Photo Gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: