The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Bristol Water 07.... a new beginning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C.B
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez Steve, I bet that was bloody cold Shock

The things we do to boost our catch rates eh Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously though, hope you're O.K Mate Wink

C.B
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes mike. a lesson to be learnt there mate.allways check your water deph and bottom contours before and whilst wading guys. will be investing in a spiked landing net before i tread the waters or should i say sink into the water at the bristol waters :wink Embarassed : .waiting for tobys and allrounders reports and pics.must be still gutting there fish Smile .cheers steve
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done C.B and Blondie, glad to see you both had your lines pulled.

im awaiting Allrounders report and hopfuly some pictures of the day?

thers certainly pleanty of fish about, i dont reckon there feeding propely yet though.

C.B, i tryed ringing you (not off my phone though)
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a day! Very Happy

Broken rods, limits, 5lb+ fish and attemted suicide by drowning - at last we are back to having proper opening days at Chew again! Laughing Laughing

Others can provide the words, I'll tell the story of the day with pictures ...

We arrived before dawn ...

But soon it was light enough to tackle up ... and wait for the airhorn at 7am.

CB has already decided his plan of attack even before he arrived. Dipper is almost too embarrassed to look ... Laughing

The walking tackle shop (tart?) that is WCB is ready to go ... Laughing

And he is soon casting a long line through the early morning mist ...

7.04am ... and CB is astonished to get a pull from his first fish of the season. The successful fly? A Peach Blob of course! Laughing Laughing

The Allrounder is next with his first fish at 7.07am and the rest are not far behind ..

Blondie nets a beauty ... Very Happy

As does Dipper ... Very Happy

And WCB is soon in action too ... Very Happy

CB takes one of his regular breaks, but still end up top rod before lunch with 4 fish. Wink

Things have been quiet for a few hours so its time to move. Lots of limits reported from Wick and big fish too! Fortunately there is room for three of us to squeeze in. Wink
The Allrounder and WCB start getting fish regularly but soon WCB hooks something a bit special ...

And here it is! A rainbow well over 5lbs. Sorry WCB, can't remember the exact weight
even though I weighed it for you. Embarassed

Not to be outdone, the Allrounder eventually nets his best fish of the day ... a 4-3-0 rainbow! Very Happy

And because it's my camera, I get to pose with my catch Laughing

No photos of Blondies unplanned dip but it needs to be said that despite being soaking wet he continued to fish on for another hour. Now thats what I call real dedication! Very Happy

Great start, great day, fantastic company ... and Blagdon opens next Thursday! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Allrounder Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
westcountryboy
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a day.

Up at the crack of dawn at 4am this morning with an hours drive to get to Chew.

We were let in at 6am to get kitted up for the 7am kick off.

This was the scene just before we all started to thrash the water to foam

It got off to a great start when on my first cast i hooked and lost a fish.

Then Mike (cb) hooked and landed a fish in the next couple of minutes with Alan (Allrounder) hooking and landing one very shortly after.

Mike and Alan raced in to the lead with Dipper and Blondie also catching with only me have the pressure of not landing a fish even though i had hooked and lost two and also snapping a new rod on the first cast Crying or Very sad .

As the morning progressed we all had more pulls etc somthing that we were not expecting from Chew as last year had been so poor.

By the time CB had to leave at around he was in the lead with 4 fish which must of equaled his total for all of last year in one day Laughing Laughing

We fished on for a little while and then decided to have a more as it was a bit slow.

We looked at a few places before decideding on wick green for a few hours.

It go's to show that location is everything when it comes to a ressie the size of chew as we had fish from the off.

Here is a couple of pictures of Alan playing and landing a nice fish of over 4lb

I was lucky and along with Alan caught my limit topped of with personal best ressie fish of 5lb 8oz

Poor Blondie (steve) had a bit of a day of it topped of with me offering him my place after i had my limit but forgot to tell him that there was a drop off as soon as you step in the water.
whoops Steve go's head first in to the water with rod in hand and fag in mouth and go's under.

Luckly he is up and out faster then he fell in with no damage to his rod just a very wet body.

I had to take a picture of him and he was a good sport and let me

What a great day in superb company.

WCB Very Happy

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com The BEST Fly fishing tuition guiding and lessons in Devon

http://funkyflytying.co.uk
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW guys. great pictures, makes me want to wet my line again. its a great feeling being out on the water for the first time in ages.

some cracking fish there too! anything over 3lbs is good, but a 4 or a 5lb+ fish is somthing special.

blondie.... bet that was refreshing! those pointed bank stickes are really useful mate, i dont know where i would be without mine, as i use it as a line tray too!

well chew has started succesfully..... i hope the barrows did too!!

my report will be up for blagdon on tuesday... Smile
C.B
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant pictures guys.

I might have known you'd 'bag up' as soon as I left.

One of these days........................

Does anyone know how Dipper got on ?

I think someone said he called in at Woodford on his way home.

I'm going to try and swing another 'shift change' next week so I can fish Blagdon opening day.

It's a shame though that the weather forecast is almost the same as last year Crying or Very sad

Freezing cold with arctic North Westerlies.

At least it'll make fiaihng the North Shore easier.

Gotta be Peg's I reckon Wink

C.B Laughing
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.B wrote:
Although the 4 fish I had were all clean and weighed approx 1lb 12 2.00 2.12 3.00 thinking back they all came to the net very easily, I don't know what the others think.

C.B Wink

That was my experience at Nunnery too but the fish at Wick were completely different and all went like trains. Very Happy

Strange how fish in the same lake can act so differently. Confused

By the way, I forgot to say that I caught most of my fish on my own version of a Tups Indispensible. Here it is pictured with a 2-6-0 fish. My version is very special and is best fished with an ultra fast sink shooting head ... Laughing Laughing

By the way, nice report and pics, WCB. A picture tells a thousand words as they say ...!Very Happy

Allrounder Wink
B.A.S.S.

Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blondie wrote:
well what can i say Shock .what a start to the season Very Happy Crying or Very sad .i ended the day with one fish and an early bath!!! Shock Shock Crying or Very sad Laughing Embarassed cheers.steve Smile

I could have so easily joined you, Blondie. Sad

You'll note that in the pics I have two landing nets. I use the one on my back for fish and the other acts as a wading stick although it is also there if something really big comes along. Wink

The clay lake bed at Wick is notoriously slippery and I came close to losing my balance at least once so I was grateful to have something to grab to steady myself. Sad

No need to splash lots of cash. Just use a long, extendable coarse fishing bank stick. Wink

Allrounder Wink
B.A.S.S.

TRUGG
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Cracking start Reply with quote

Well done lads and some good pics of the event, i hope the season carries on aswell as the start.

Mick
dipper
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an excellent morning with great company ,unfortunately the fish didnt ablige ,just the one .I stopped off at Woodford for an hour ,had a few follows and one came off ,just one of those days.The chap next to me had 5 on a fast sinker and a black booby( he was fishing at the spot I mentioned to you C.B,Alrounder) .Most of the fish I saw caught looked in pretty good nick apart from that one caught by the season ticket holder at Nunnery that had already been gutted by a pike!
Looking forward to the next meet up ,glad your alright Blondie tiz well slippery down wick
Dipper Very Happy
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys.im ok after having a nice warm bath when i got home Laughing .thanks for pulling me out by the way toby Wink .i was suprised how quick i got cold after my dunk Embarassed .please learn by my lesson guys.i know it was even bxxxdy colder going home on the bike Shock .it was great to see everyone catch and as usual the company great.its worth going just for that Wink .nice to meet you at last dipper.will no doubt see you at clatworthy soon mate.pics are great by the way.cheers for now.steve Smile
C.B
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help thinking that the Bristol Waters are still producing more questions than answers.

The large fish coming out yesterday were the 'held back and grown on stockies' from last season presumably and Bob Handford has been quick to seize some positive publicity at last !

However yesteray has thrown up more puzzles for me:

1. Why did Chew and Barrows fish far better on the Thursday than on the season ticket holders day two days prior ?

2. Why did the fish from Wick fight noticably harder than those we caught from Nunnery ?

3. This one for Dipper:

How come after not getting a tug in his 'swim' and moving did Dipper and I witness another guy extract 5 fish from the same spot in less than an hour???

Funny old game this Fly fishing lark isn't it ??

C.B Very Happy
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have been a bit of a gamble but as WCB suggested on the day, it probably made more commercial sense for Bristol Water to hold the 8,000 fish back than stock them last season when few people were fishing the lake to catch them.

Much better to invest in extra sacks of pellets to feed them on through the winter in the hope that the bigger fish will generate good publicity during the opening week to attract back all the missing rods.

A gamble certainly but one that paid off so all credit to them. I'm just so relieved that Chew has made a good start because I was fearing the worst again with all the extra water in the lake.

I also hope they do the same in future years. Variety is the spice of life and while catching regulation 1-8-0 to 2-8-0 fish is fun, the thought that there is also a liberal sprinkling of 4lb to 6lb fish swimming around will certainly add something extra. Very Happy

Imagine hooking WCBs biggie on a #5 weight and a size 14 buzzer. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Think I had better check that I have enough backing on my reel before the buzzer fishing starts in earnest!

Allrounder Wink
B.A.S.S.

westcountryboy
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good Alan.

Must get back there with some buzzers.

WCB

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com The BEST Fly fishing tuition guiding and lessons in Devon

http://funkyflytying.co.uk
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 2 of 47

Jump to: