The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Hugh Fearnley Chickenstall
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Non Fishing Stuff -> CFF Breweries - The Turtle's Head
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Hugh Fearnley Chickenstall Reply with quote

Anybody been watching this programme with Hugh called 'Hughs Chicken Run'?

It is a good thing that he is bringing it to our attention, that is those of us that are not really aware of what the production of cheaper chickens entails.

Interesting to hear the remarks of single mum Hayley. Even after being taken to the intensive rearing shed she maintained she would still only be able to buy the cheaper variety of chicken available as that was all she could afford and was unmoved by the whole experience, another member of the team asked what type of chicken she would prefer to be, "it doesn't matter, they will all die anyway" she replied. I think she is just trying to be awkward.

'Can't afford it' don't make me laugh, the difference between buying a free range bird and an intensively reared one is about 50p per head. And judging by the size of her own big fat arse there has never been any shortage of food money in that home.

My wife received a letter from Sainsburys this morning, not the usual offer sheet, a letter specifically assuring her that all the chickens and eggs they sell are of the finest quality etc etc. No other product was mentioned

I reckon Hugh must have got their attention.
AndySev
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the shops around here a free range chicken is on average double the cost!

Personally i think that there a few ways that they could and should improve the conditions, but in principle i have no problem with intensive chicken farming. The thing that seems to escape everyones attention is that if everyone turned around today and said no to intensively farmed chicken, there would be nowhere near enough free range chickens to satisfy the need! Unfortunately the demand is so high in this country that we need to intensively farm chickens.
Rodge
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next (last ??) episode is on tonight at 9pm. One thing which did strike me was the complete lack of cooking skills shown by the wives, and the utter wastefulness they displayed. The thought of one meal from a chicken in this household is unthinkable. There's no reason for treating (battery) chickens in such a way, it should be outlawed.

I see Jamie Oliver is mounting a similar campaign on Friday evening. I also hear that his deal with Sainsburys has gone sour.

The Complete Fisher Daily Trivia Quiz Mk 2

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=102819

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Rodge
Nicepix
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len Goodman (the nice judge from Strictly Come Dancing) argues that we should eat the battery chickens to put them out of their misery. Very Happy

You can't argue with that logic Wink

Clive
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the first one on Monday I think it was. I found it interesting learning about the density in which they live, the growth rates, conditions they live in and the age at which they are killed.

To be honest, I doubt it will affect my choice and I'll still buy the £2.50 chickens from Tesco.

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise the need for intensive farming and that fact has never stopped me buying that kind of bird.

I might reconsider though.
Rodge
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that its the fault of the supermarkets. They force the suppliers to produce birds at the cheapest possible price.

Now I find that Wifey (bless her) wants to watch the Vicar of Dibley at 9pm, so I'll be sitting here at the pc watching fernley twittingstone.

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Rodge
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was mentioned on Monday in fact. The supermarkets decided to wage war on the price of chickens (I guess given that it's a widely eaten meat it's a sensible product to win customers over with), but it is a bit ludicrous that you can buy a whole bird for £2.50!

Who would be a chicken farmer.....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
chobson
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the governments putting the brakes on battery farming, which then leaves barn farming to deal with next, no real difference between the two as far as i can see Rolling Eyes

http://www.anglingtrust.net/
Rodge
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half way through the last episode, hugh is losing badly to the supermarkets.

Rodge
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the end result showed a different view starting to take shape.

The fact that the supermarkets have started to make changes shows that they are listening. It appears they may have at least some animal welfare at heart after all.
Rodge
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will only be very strong public opinion which alters the attitude of the supermarkets.

I was disappointed to hear comments that H. F-W was pushing free-range to boost his own sales. Having read a couple of his books, it's clear that he's passionate about the way animals (and birds) are treated. I happen to think that his views are slightly OTT, but you've got to admire the man for getting up on his hind legs and saying so.

Jamie Oliver's program on Friday will, I believe, be much more aggressive and 'to the point'. I bet he covers MRM, if you don't know what that is, you have a treat in store.

Rodge
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodge wrote:
I bet he covers MRM, if you don't know what that is, you have a treat in store.

Mechanically Recovered Meat or something?
I wonder if Mr Oliver has a new book coming out Razz

Nicepix
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermarkets merely reflect public demands. The majority of use will trawl the Internet for hours to save a penny on fishing tackle and that is reflected in day to day grocery purchases. The supermarkets that do best are the cheapest and they can only be the cheapest by driving down their purchasing costs.

If more people were prepared to pay more for quality then the supermarkets will offer quality products. Traditionally supermarkets are divided along the cost .v. quality line with Asda and Tesco majoring on low cost products and Sainsburys and Waitrose offering more expensive, but better quality products. Obviously Asda sell more chickens than Sainsburys.

Ironically this is the worst time possible to market free range poultry. Apart from the economic trend of a slow economy making people less able to choose quality over price, the EU are tightening regulations in respect of the keeping of poultry outdoors because of avian flu. This will make free range bird even more expensive to rear. In Cyprus the government have already banned the keeping of free range poultry. They now must be kept in sheds.

Clive
Pinky
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missus started buying free range chickens last summer and despite the fairly substantial price difference I think the taste is a lot better.

We don't buy them because we want better conditions for the chickens, we buy them because of the better taste.

Pinky
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Non Fishing Stuff -> CFF Breweries - The Turtle's Head All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: