The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

What do I do next to improve distance casting?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Fly Casting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: What do I do next to improve distance casting? Reply with quote

Well... I've tried everything I reckon.

I bought a few new rods, and now have a 5 and 7 wt that are good performers.
I have now finally got the competition taper ED lines.

In an effort to improve my chances at the 7 wt record I have spent the winter growing longer eyebrows, and am pleased to report significant gains in this department.

What can I do next?

Practice perhaps?

Laughing

In all seriousness - who's been out there trying to iron out a few kinks in their casting in preparation for opening day on their local rezzie then?

I've managed a few hours, though I must confess most of them have been spent trying to sort out butt-ugly loops and some presentation and accuracy "issues." Haven't thought much about distance lately!

Anyone else been on the case?
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, The only time I ever cast is when I'm fishing. I haven't cast a fly in months but I'm having my first trip of 2008 on Saturday and I doubt my casting will be much different to what it always is.
chuckfluffer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop down whenever you like Kev, I need help as well. Eyebrows are overrated for distance casting.

Mike
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the Sharkskin line recently instantly added 10' to my distance. Razz Used the MED before.

Definately do not miss a lesson from Carl.

Have found the more I improve timing and tracking my distance increases.
Berlin
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gents,

It looks like you're wringing every last inch out now.

Several things come next.

Mental attitude. Sounds simple but simply willing yourself to do better will improve performance. But not if it leads to more power. Powers not where its at.

Next, Using everything you have to the max. Your stroke may be perfect, your haul may be perfect, your stroke may be perfect but if your stop or rotation is out, you'll never reach 100%. Its about the sum of the parts all being 100%.

Paul has brought the step into his casting to increase stroke length so he gains about 10-15 ft.

I'd suggest that the next steps are as follows,

1) Start chopping the cast into smaller pieces. Then, when you have the smaller pieces, chop those into pieces. then chop those into pieces until you have the absolute fundamentals of the cast.

For example, can you answer the following? At what point to you start the forward cast? (rod angle, hand position, line position, leader position) and *why*? at what point does the pressure come off your thumb and into your index finger in the cast? What happens if you play with this point? Are you snapping your haul? have you cancelled out tip recoil? have yout matched the line to the conditions? How many components are there to "the stop"? Have you played with the accelleration rates? have you incorporated centripetal acelleration? What changes when you change rods or lines?

Next is control.

Can you increase and derease loop size by say 1" at will? If not, why not? At what distance does the loop change shape when you start to feed out line and why? How much can you back off from 100% and still achieve the same distance? take out the power over sequential casts and see if the distance starts to reduce (it won't). How far can you go? Why aren't the distances falling? Is power important if this is so?

and the most important one of all.

Find out what "hook up" is. This means you can ping one out every time and in a competition, that matters. It took me over 6 months to find that out. I now know how to "Hook One Up" every time. Made a huge difference. Find out what the parameters are when you just *know* the cast is a good one as soon as you hit it - Then replicate them every time so every cast is a good one.

I don't have a problem tuning you up and I'll give you everything in my box, except the last one. I'll be keeping that one for a while Smile

Cheers,
C
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizard wrote:
Bought the Sharkskin line recently instantly added 10' to my distance. Razz Used the MED before.

Definately do not miss a lesson from Carl.

Have found the more I improve timing and tracking my distance increases.

Ja, lessons are always good... as is practicing with other people, like Chuckfluffer... it's far easier to spot other peoples problems than your own I find!

The sharkskin lines are meant to be excellent I know, but what I want to do now is improve using my existing tackle - so that the only factor responsible for gains in performance is adjustments in technique.

My two biggest problems at the moment, in terms of distance, are:

1) establishing whether switching to a right-foot-forward stance is a help or a hindrance. My mind tells me that it will automatically improve my tracking (sadly my muscle memory refuses to agree at present!).

2) delaying my wrist rotation (STILL!!! Rolling Eyes )
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Carl - think I posted a nanosecond after you...

That gives me some more to think about - starting with the mechanics revision - got to go refresh my memory as to the difference bbetween centripetal and centrifugal!

The power thing is one you have managed to drum into me quite well Carl... rotation is the bugger at the moment. That's where I'm way out!

Cheers for the food for thought - you got any dates sorted for a southern clave yet?

Doing the CLA?
Berlin
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kev,

Centripetal is the same as centrifugal.

Why do you feel that your Rotation is the problem?

Should be doing theCLA this year and looking forward to it.

C
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berlin wrote:

Not exactly....

Centripetal

vs

Centrifugal

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berlin wrote:
Hi kev,

Why do you feel that your Rotation is the problem?

Should be doing theCLA this year and looking forward to it.

C

Excellent stuff - I'm hoping to do the saturday and Sunday this year. Might even have a go at a comp or two Laughing

My rotation is alright in short range casting - at least I think it is...

it's the delayed rotation when I'm using a long stroke whilst going for distance. I still have this tendency to rotate from the shoulder in an almost straight armed "lob" when the pressure is on.
I'm not too great at describing the cast - but I guess what I mean is that I am trying to work on a straight line path (well almost) of the butt through the whole stroke, but delaying rotation to the end of the path.

My weakness is this tendency to rotate throughout, which kills the cast. Tends to come out when I'm trying hard, and power creeps into the scheme of things!
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, memory refreshed... no wonder I failed mechanics!
Berlin
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Smartypants.

In *this case* you dont need to worry about the difference.

As long as the tip of the rod is being forced outwards by either, it matters not which you choose to use to describe it. The end result is the same Wink

C
Charlie
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev, pack it in and learn how to catch some fish Very Happy

In all seriousness, I am just jealous at the progress you have made, but can't bring myself to spare fishing time to add another few yards.

Charlie
Randy Kadish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to give someone suggestions online. Casting styles are different. You might want to try shooting line on your last back cast. Also to increase the casting stroke of my last back cast so I can carry more line, I add a small drift move - I lower the rod tip a few inches - when my last forward false cast has unrolled at least halfway.

Also, I'm a righty. To improve my double hauling I practiced throwing a ball with my left hand.

Randy
Charlie
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to say I took a lesson and am now significantly improved - not tournament standard, but doubt I will find anyone casting further on my bank matches.

Kev, I repeat - learn how to fish now Very Happy

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Fly Casting All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: