The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Venue Review - Rib Valley

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Venue Review - Rib Valley Reply with quote

Overall
Rib Valley is situated near Ware in Hertfordshire, just off the A10 and about 15 minutes from Junction 25 of the M25. With a wide range of Catch and Release ticket options, this makes it one of the most affordable venues within easy reach of London.

A 13 acre gravel pit, it is a medium sized stillwater that is stocked weekly throughout the year, other than June to September inclusive when it is closed for trout angling and switches to coarse fishing due to high water temperatures making C&R too risky for the fish. It is bordered by the river Rib, which is not available for trout fishing but ensures a decent mayfly hatch for at least a week or two each year on the lake.

I would not describe it as an easy water but it can be prolific once you know the seasons and methods and, especially around October to December and March to May it is possible to catch very well indeed - we have had a couple of CF “mini-socials at Rib and plenty of fish have always been caught. Sizes range from just under 2lbs to about 7lbs, with doubles a real rarity these days but plenty of fish in the 4-5lbs range. Methods vary by time of year but it is an excellent buzzer water in the Spring with both straightline and bung methods working, lures on an intermediate are always worth trying for the first hour or so and in the coldest months boobies on a Di7 work well. Dries work in the Mayfly and Daddy spells.

Tickets and Rules

All tickets involve killing at least on fish, so that some degree of stock turnover occurs and range for a 4 hour ticket (one killed and seven C&R) at just 15 to a “kill four ticket at 30, with several variations imbetween :

http://www.ribvalleyfishinglakes.com/Fly%20Fishing.htm

You are allowed upto three flies and these should be de-barbed once the kill part of the ticket is complete and fish released without removing from the water if possible. Boobies are not to be used on sunk lines with the C&R part of a ticket.

Facilities

Rib Valley has a very friendly onsite tackle shop run by Jan and Neil who have a Greys dealership and sell a good range of fly and coarse gear (there are two coarse lakes) at reasonable prices as well as a restaurant and par 3 golf course. There is a club associated with the venue who run a series of fly tying evenings and other events, including quite an active competition section where many of us have learnt heaps from some very competent anglers who have frequently done well in national competitions, most recently Lloyd Pallett winning the Lexus Individual last year. Club membership is 30 and gets the members a number of concessions on the water including reduced priced day tickets and free use of the small boat fleet which otherwise costs 5 per day and includes a wheelyboat.

Richard Vigus, the bailiff, is an APGAI certified instructor and offers casting tuition as well as hire of rods for beginners, making Rib a good place to start fly fishing.

There is a small lodge with free tea and coffee and clean toilet facilities.

Hotspots

These vary by wind and time of year but the Lodge bank where you enter is always a good place to start as this is where many of the fish are stocked. The long jetty at the far left hand end and the area between that and the far end have also always produced well in the spring and autumn although less so in the coldest months.

The bay on the right hand side of the lake is a good place to get out of the wind but not as prolific since the cages were moved out of there a couple of years ago. The point, just before turning right into that, is difficult to cast from because of wind and trees but can be excellent.

Tactics
I would normally go with two rods set up, one with an intermediate armed with an orange blob on the dropper and a black taddy on the point to start with, rotating colours on the point fly. The other would be a floater or midge tip with a small goldhead cat on the point and a diawl bach and cruncher on the droppers.

In each spot I visit, I would pull the intermediate through for about ten minutes and see what happened, changing the point fly every ten casts or so and varying retrieves. If that had no result, I would give it 10-20 minutes on the nymph rig and then move on, heading between likely spots and watching others for signs of action.

If I started catching on the nymphs, and it was relatively calm, I would switch the intermediate rod over to a floater, bung and three buzzers at 3, 6 and 10 ft to try and increase the catch rate. During the mayfly and daddy seasons a large dry point fly with a couple of diawl bachs or buzzers on the droppers is an extremely effective “washing line approach.

Overall, the secret is to keep moving, if pulls are not forthcoming. No more than half an hour per spot, unless I were catching or there were some sign of feeding fish.

Information

The website has a weekly update on it and you can also ring the shop on 01920 462200 for a very up to date view of how it is fishing. I fish it pretty regularly and post on CF regularly and am also happy to respond to PMs on the subject. If I am going there, I am also pleased to show people the venue and methods as are other regulars who are often on the water – many of the club members wear green RVFF hats (I dont) and can usually be indentified by the fact they are catching !
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Thanks Charlie Smile

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Charlie.

I didn't realise that they turn it over to Coarse Fishing I thought that they dealt with that in The Millennium (old) lake and the other lake (unknown name). I've only been once in two years so must make the effort to get back in May/June. The hatch always used to be consistent not proloific but just dsteady. The Browns did come out for those.

Thanks

Smile
Charlie
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a big carp water in the summer.

Sadly no browns or tigers in Rib any more.

Charlie
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
Yes, it's a big carp water in the summer.

Sadly no browns or tigers in Rib any more.

Charlie

Charlie

Thanks for coming back.

They will be cancelling Christmas next!

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: