The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Playing with Poppers

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Playing with Poppers Reply with quote

I was in need of some poppers for summer Fly piking and during a visit to Santa's Grotto, other wise known as "Sportfish" Wink Laughing

I saw these "Perfect Poppers" by Wapsi - 10 heads and 10 of the crinckley hooks needed to tie them along with an instructions sheet

Seemed like a good idea so I got a pack of each head type and resolved to give them a go.
First job was to ignore the instruction sheet, as us chaps tend to do, and get them in the vise. Head and hook are put together with Gel type Superglue and allowed time to set-up.
Shown below are 2 methods of adding the type of "eye" I like to use. These are moving doll eyes which give a gentle rattle when moved.

To the left of the hooks are two heads where the sides have been cut away with a sharp knife to produce the flat area needed to glue on the eyes.
To the right are another two where I have flattened a small area, towards the middle of the head. Simply done by stroking gently with a heated knife blade
No responsibility accepted - (Please ask SWMBO's permission before adopting this method Wink )
The eyes I afixed with "Serious Glue" by EvoStik as it allows precise positioning before it sets-up in 2 hours.

More time on the rotary drier - Then its time to dress them up.

Here a Silver and Black along with a Gold and Black Tinsel "flasher's". These have worked well for me tied as a 6 to 9" fly - so it made sense to try them as a popper.

Decorated with "Goth" nail varnish and some fusia pink stuff on the more girly section of Tesco's beauty section. Wink Laughing

These two are both my styles of "Baby Pike" Fly with black or dark green stripes aplied with pemanent marker. Easier to do if you place the edge of a sheet of paper where you want the stripe - then in short motions stroke the marker from on the paper to the EP fibres, along the fibres. This gives a hard front edge and a softer rear edge. If you use the same paper after using the black, you can get a darker green fading to lighter.

Field testing of these creations will hopefully take place at the Great Chew Croc Hunt that Blondie and I are doing on the 30th. Wink

Wish us luck. Wink

and if you have a go at these yourself - Show us yer Poppers. Laughing Laughing

HTH ..... Tony Wink
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice flies again Tony

Might be worth experimenting with different shaped heads too - maybe cutting them slightly shorter and building up more of a body, might allow a few more options Smile

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 types of head available Chris - Shown in the top photo . Short, Medium and Long, though the medium and long ones have flat fronts - Only the short has the concave front.

Take your point as to building up a larger body - next experiment will be to attach tinsel directly to the popper body. In these tinsel ones, I used a couple turns of Fritz to hold the "wing" open. Wink

Still Playing ..... Tony Wink
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best pike fly I've used is the one with a huge hank of tinsel attached to it in a pearly colour. It didn't have a popper head but I think that would be a great combination Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
The best pike fly I've used is the one with a huge hank of tinsel attached to it in a pearly colour. It didn't have a popper head but I think that would be a great combination Smile

Something like this?

Proving to be quite popular.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the exact one, except the red was on the throat, but I doubt that matters!

What material have you got for the tail on that fly CN?

ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's called slinky fibre, it's a very hard wearing synthetic fibre with like a crinkle finish.
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got one of those to try at chew Wink Smile cheers.steve Smile
Philly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Wapsi popper hooks, but I've had several of the hard body poppers shatter on me when I cast closer to rocks than I planned.
So I switched over to the soft foam bodies either pre-shaped or shaped out of foam cylinders. They're good looking flies, but as you'll see on the ones below I tend to keep my tails fairly short. Maybe we have too many short strikers on this side of the pond. Since I'll be heading to northern Ontario and my only decent shot at pike in a couple of weeks. I think I'll add a couple of top waters with the longer tail and see what happens. Have you ever thought of adding a stinger hook to your tails? For most of the fishing I do poppers in the 3 to 5 inch range work well.

Pencil Poppers

Hula Poppers

Weedless Poppers

Popper

and a couple of others with treble hooks rather than the single hook

lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting set of flies Jerry, Cool Thanks for your input. Wink

I'm away shortly, this AM, to try mine against the Pike on Chew Valley Lake. Very Happy

If I encounter short taking fish - it will be out with the scissors. Wink

What do you use to colour your bodies , Spray paint, brush paint, permanent markers - or do you raid SWIMBO's nail varnish collection. Laughing Laughing

Cheers .... Tony. Wink
dipper
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice looking flies there guys ,might try some smaller varients for the trout this autumn, Tightlines for today Tony and Steve ,hopefully we will see some pics of some chunky crocs messing up some of those flies tonight Very Happy cheers Geoff
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the wishes Geoff (they worked Wink )

Words and pics to follow - We're both home safe , happy but - nine letters, begins with a K Wink

Nothing sleep won't cure. Laughing

Cheers ..... Tony
Philly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all done with permanent markers and in some cases, fabric paint markers. That's the one advantage of using the soft foam bodies you can blend and fade colors.
Sound like you had a good trip. Waiting see the pictures and hear what color combinations worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: