The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Chew Croc Hunt - 30/06/08

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Chew Croc Hunt - 30/06/08 Reply with quote

Went to Chew Valley Lake yesterday on a pre-arranged boating Croc Hunt with Blondie (Steve)

We met up at 8.00 AM in the car park and went for a "full english" breakfast and coffee over which plans and tactics for the day were plotted. By 9.30 we climbed aboard our boat and headed out in slightly overcast conditions with a warm westerly breeze ruffling the surface of the lake.
Both tackling up with inter's, our first drift down Villace bay produced no takes, no follows - no nothing. Motored around for a second drift when the echo sounder started bleeping. Now, its set up to only "alarm" when larger fish are picked up. So, kill the engine and commence a drift. As I unfurled my first cast I said to Steve "Big fish on the sounder - Do not be suprised if you get hit."

Third short strip on my line and I was indeed HIT - seriously.

Bent the 10 weight Redington CPS into its full fighting curve and she went airborne, head shaking and crashing back into the water 25 odd yards away. The barbless 3/0 - 9" baby pike fly held and after 3 long fast runs I managed to bring her near the boat.

Thought she was ready for the net - but she had other idea's

More serious bends in the rod before she gave up

Thanks to Steves ginnormous carp net and his skill in using it - She went in first attempt and was quickly unhooked. A fast trophy photo.

And then over the side to be well revived and then released, swimming away powerfully. Cool

Stunning fish and a hell of a scrapper. Much hand shaking, excited comments ensued, sheer fishing pleasure. Razz

A short while later, on maybe our 4th drift a very excited voice announced " Tone - I've got one, I have, I've got one."
Steve had - His first ever on a fly, ChrisN's red headed pearlescent flashy thing had got itself clobbered. Cool
Here's the result - One very happy Steve

Soon after, as if to prove to himself that it wasn't a fluke - He did it again, this time one of around 5 lbs. Sportsman that he is, Steve refused the trophy photo, as he said "I've got the one of my first" and insisted that I revive and release it straight away.

We had much to talk about over Ham and Eggs back at the lodge resturant. More plots hatched and tactics discussed.

All to no avail as it turned out. Even though we fished ourselves to a stand still, we couldn't buy another take - We moved around the whole lake, trying multitudinous changes of fly, retrives and depths, but no more interest was shown.

We gave it best - totally shattered, but happy at around 8.45.

A day for us both to remember - and we have resolved to do it again. Wink Razz

Thanks Steve, for your company and your friendship - and for not missing with that net. Wink Laughing

Tony Wink

Didn't weigh her as it was more important to get her away. Wink We both guestimated "around" 14 lbs - which is close enough.
dipper
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys , persistance is paying off Tony ,there getting bigger Very Happy ,well done Steve on your first critter to the fly ,great pics too, cheers Geoff
mgrover
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys, good to see you both caught. Well done steve o , 2 fish on first attempt cant be bad mate and a lovely fish for the fly tony. Crumbs think im gunna have to have a go at the critters soon Very Happy . I was fishing the gloucester canal the weekend with spinning gear and the bailiff told me a 37pounder came out 2 years ago aswell as a 15 pound zander , gulp .
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great report again Tony and a very well done to Steve on catching two pike on the fly.

Glad to see the pike flies you bought paid off for you Steve Very Happy
C.B
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tony and Steve.

Great fish there Tony Very Happy

C.B Wink
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great report Tony, sounds like you and Steve had a good day Smile

Cheers,
Chris

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done both, particularly Steve on the first pike on a fly. Good report. Cheers, Mark
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

While the cats away ....! Very Happy

Great fish Tony. Looks a good double and long overdue. Cool

I see your 'secret weapon' works then! Well done Steve on getting your first crocs. Pretty addictive isn't it? Rolling Eyes Laughing

I'm on holiday in Jersey at the moment. No crocs I'm afraid but plenty of sea fish to aim for ... although its raining today. Sad Laughing

Allrounder Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Nympher
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on your first fly caught Pike Blondie Very Happy
spider
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Very Happy

Well done Cool Great to see Blondie catching first time out Cool and Tony catching a Lady Cool

Must have a go at the pike myself sometime Wink

Spider Very Happy
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks guys Very Happy .tony was a real gent as usuall, seeing it was my 1st proper attempt of "croc hunting"on the fly.many thanks for that mate Wink .i was not worried about the size of the pike just to tackle and land one Cool .tony was certainly well honed regarding boating skills and well determined to get me my 1st"critter.an excellent day and great company with 2 pike on my 1st outing Very Happy .it was a pleasure to net tonys 14lber.well deserved.it certainly put up a scrap on the 10wt.this was on the baby pike mark2 Wink .it was certainly different to casting a size 14 nymph and took quite getting use to 9" pike flies Shock .well worth it though and hope fully the 1st of many trips.im hooked.if you havent tried it give it ago..many thanks tone.your a star mate.tight lines.steve Smile
Graham
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked like a lot of fun chaps! Very Happy I must get out on the river soon for some esox action Wink

Cheers

Graham
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys, looks like a day to remember for a long long time. Brilliant photos & report, keep 'em coming.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
DW
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tony and Steve! Laughing Laughing
Must give it a try myself soon! Sounds like you had a great day !!!!!!
cheers lads!
David dw
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: